Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 05:55 AM

I have some of those thin paper streamers that you can throw from an upper floor and they gently float down to the ground. Can I use them for the sail away party. They are about 1/8 inch wide, and about 6 ft long and they will kinda float down. I want to throw them from the upper deck to a lower deck. I dont want to start my cruise by getting in trouble.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 AM

Only one way to find out! Be sure to use your one phone call to let us know how it went!

Seriously though, something tells me that the cruise line might not like that. But you never know...
Old 09-14-2007, 07:08 AM

I might be totally incorrect, but I think they banned those years ago. Polluting the water. Maybe someone knows for sure.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:02 AM

I just know that one of the ship rules says Please do not throw anything from the ship.
I don't remember ever seeing anyone throw the streamers. You might check with someone when you get on the ship.
Sherry

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Banned

I agree with Penny about the streamers possibly considered to pollute the water. Maybe even the danger to sea birds getting caught up in the spirals before they have degraded in the water. And paper cuts. Yes, I said papercuts, the kind you get between the thumb and forefinger.

I remember in 1967, I was on a transatlantic cruise. It was tradition in those days to celebrate bon voyage with champagne for everyone and to pop small plastic bottles that would shoot out thin streamers of paper with razor-sharp edges. I remember getting cuts from them.
Now, if you're talking about the tissue paper streamers that are about two inches wide, you may be able to get away with it by dropping them from the portion from the Veranda Deck that overlooks the pool on the Lido Deck. I doubt that it would hurt anyone.
If you asked them they might say no. But, you could take the trojan approach and just "do it but don't get caught." If you are caught you can play dumb. After all, it's not throwing anything overboard, off the ship.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Go for it! You only live once.
Just do it and run!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:14 PM

NO! You're just asking for trouble if you do. Nothing can be thrown from the ship. If you have to do it, throw it from the deck above the pool area, not over the side of the ship. You can do what ever you want, but I would think about it first.

Sonny
Old 09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I suppose some first time cruisers have the misconception that during the "Sail-Away Party" on the Lido deck, people throw streamers and confetti, while waving goodbye to people on shore. I suppose they got this idea by watching numerous episodes of the Love Boat.

I am not sure if it happened in the 1970s, but I have never seen it happen. And like someone else here said, it is against the rules (and law) to throw anything overboard while on a cruiseship.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 PM

In all the cruises my wife and I have taken, the only time I recall being given streamers and encouraged to throw them was on the Veracruz ! out of Tampa in 1982. However, the whole experience was somewhat surreal as the Port of Tampa, at that time, was entirely (with the exception of the Veracruz) a cargo port. As a matter of fact, we actually boarded through a warehouse (no passenger terminal was in place then) in Tampa.

It was a strange experience throwing streamers as there was no one shore-side to view the "spectacle"...just a bunch of longshoremen.

Garnett
Old 09-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I found an episode of The Love Boat on You Tube where they show the Sail Away party with all the streamer throwing. To see it click on this link and fast foward to 40 seconds into the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5-ZU...elated&search=

Also, at 55 seconds into the video you see the Pacific Princess sailing away. Someone said that this ship, the old Pacific Princess (not the new one) is the world's most famous cruise ship (thanks to The Love Boat TV show). When at saw it (at 55 seconds) I realized it sure would look tiny sailing alongside some of the newer cruiseships.

Closed Thread

Tags
aways, bon, confetti, cruise, paper, quit, sail, sailing, ship, streamers, thin, throw, throwing, tradition, traditions, voyage