Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Banned

I am an officially addicted karaoke person.

Over the years, I have had the best and the worst.

The best (Hey Melvin) did many things that made him the best.

1. He showed up about 20 minutes early to make certain his equipment was set up and operational on time. You would be amazed at the number of hosts who slide in 5 minutes before karaoke is suppose to start and then spend 20 minutes setting up.

2. He had the first hour for "family karaoke" and the then rest of the night was for adults (over 18) only. Nothing will clear a karaoke room faster than some 7 year old singing Mary Had a Little Lamb at 11pm at night. Adults who love karaoke do not cruise to babysit someone else's kids. By having the first hour for "family karaoke"....Grandma and Grandpa could see little Susie "be a star" and then we could move on to serious adult fun!!

3. Melvin was willing to do anything he could to see that the cruisers had a good time. For example: He was on the Imagination which has the new digital karaoke system. However, since the selection is still very limited, he made sure the secondary system was set up so that folks (like me) could use their own cdgs. And he accommodated us with a smile.

4. Melvin walked through the audience and welcomed people (EVEN those who were clearly not singing). He made everyone feel special.

5. Melvin took the time to know his equipment.
He had a great ear and knew how to work the sound board to produce the best sound possible for the singer.

6. Yes, he had a fabulous voice but more importantly...he had the desire to make people happy.

As for the worst....that would be the young lady who spent the entire session writing letters to her boyfriend or family or whomever.
She did not want to be there. She could have cared less how anyone sounded....and it showed.

Hope that helped!!
Old 05-03-2008, 08:14 PM

When I was on Rapsody of the Seas the only way to the big lounge (I've forgotten the name of it) where they did quest and other popular entertainment was to go through the karaoke bar. On nights when events were planned in that big lounge they'd have what they called Kamikaze Karaoke. As people would walk through the host would ambush them and stick the mike in their hand. Then the audience and host would encourage them to sing to a random song he'd cue up. If they turned red and resisted the crowd would pressure more and he'd offer a prize if they'd go ahead and do the song. Usually they were with spouses or friend who would almost always side with the crowd and try to encourage or shame them into it. It was among the funniest things I ever saw.

My wife never entered that bar again or even went near it. She is incredibly shy and was terrified she'd be ambushed. She made me enter every venue from the bars to the casio first for the rest of the trip.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Gross public humiliation as entertainment . . .hmmmmm
Old 05-03-2008, 10:56 PM

I have never witnessed that before. It sounds fun, if you are not the ambushee.

On some Carnival ships, the Piano Bar player/singer will get a running phrase going to shout out to new people entering the bar. It is hilarious to see their reactions.

Dwayne
Old 05-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Gross public humiliation as entertainment . . .hmmmmm
Rick you make it sound awful, I guess if you're the one ambushed and shy it would be. But for spectators it was truely hillarious. The gifts were usually fun too. for those who reluctantly participated they usually got a copy of the ship entertainment CD including thier uncomfortable moment. One guy who was obviously pretending to be uncomfortable to go along but obviously enjoying his moment of having the mike, his prize was... The host told him he'd pick up the tab for the desert of his choice at dinner in the main dining room for the rest of the cruise.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

So, not only were these unwilling participants embarassed at the time, but their reactions were put on the cruise CD, which is often shown repeatedly on the cabin TV during the cruise? I'd be bypassing that venue, too.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Yep Lisa, but only a couple of the best ones were on the widely distributed CD. The rest they just dubbed in their performance in to their own personal copy of a CD for them along with the rest of the normal stuff. Either way I'd have handed the mike back and kept walking. I don't sing, even for strangers I'll never see again. Heck, I don't even sing in the shower.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, entertainer, good, hired, host, hoste, job, karaoke, keraoke, line, makes, qualities, radiance, school, seas