Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 05:08 AM

Can one use a small iron on the ship? What are the electrical points in an interior cabin and how many volts do they work on?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 AM

mani8kgm,

you can use an iron but it is prohibited on virtually all cruise ships as irons are considered a major fire hazard. I recommend using a portable steamer, instead.

The voltage of the in-cabin power outlets depends from ship to ship. Most ships have either 110-120V, 220-240V or both. The outlets are usually either North American standard (110-120V) or German standard (220-240V), while British ships often have British standard outlets (220-240V).

Raoul Fiebig

Old 07-19-2006, 06:58 AM

Thanks Raoul! Royal Carribbeans's Brilliance of the seas is American, I take. So voltage should be 110-120? Can you recommend what sort of adaptor I get (I'm clueless) for a mobile phone and digital camera. We use 220-240 in India, round pins!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 PM

mani8kgm,

"Brilliance of the Seas" has both American-standard and German-standard plugs. Will your devices fit in the latter ones?

Raoul Fiebig

Old 07-19-2006, 12:36 PM

To mani8kgm
If you link here there is a table for every country in the world with graphic representation of plugs and outlets. They also sell adapters and converters.

When I was in your country, I used an adapter to go from my US standard plug to your outlets. I didn't need a converter because the items I was plugging in (shaver, laptop) converted internally. Anyway, I hope the link helps.

PS - I use a steamer myself, I've had it for years and it works beautifully. Also, on board ship the water is distilled so I don't worry about scale buildup.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:31 PM

Thanks Chuck! I've heard that ironing is a no-no on ships! I wouldn't want my iron confiscated if they do check luggage on RC! At any rate, what exactly is a steamer? (How big, how heavy? Any brand names?} Sounds daft I know, but the only ones I know of are used for cooking, or for inhalation when one is all stuffy and sick!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:40 AM

I've had mine for years - I'll look at it and get the brand name for you. The steamer is a hand-held device (like a hair dryer) with a reservoir for water that (like a steam iron) when it is plugged in, generates steam that comes out of a series of pin holes. You run the steamer over the wrinkles in your (pants for example), the steam relaxes the fabric and the wrinkles fall out.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:23 PM

mani8kgm,
Well, here is a LINK for a dual voltage travel steamer - in the picture, it appears to come with an adapter plug similar to what you would use in India (two round pins).

Old 07-20-2006, 08:24 PM

Thanks for all the tips Chuck! I'm going to see if I can find a steamer in our neck of the woods!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:39 AM

Most department stores (Target, etc) sell steamers. You can also get them at kitchen and bath stores. We were told that if we had an iron in our suitcase, that it would be confiscated by the cruise line. I don't know how they would know, unless they go through all the suitcases.

Closed Thread

Tags
adapters, brilliance, caribbean, cruise, digitalboardboardtopic, electrical, ironing, outlets, pins, power, royal, seas, ship, ships, use, voltage