Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 AM

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and have found it very interesting to browse through! Everyone seems very helpful and knowledgeable.
We have a family of 5, and I'm finding it very difficult to find a cruise line that will allow the 5 of us in one room. I think Disney may allow it, but they may be a bit expensive for us. Does anyone have any advice in this area? The kids would be about 10, 8 and 2 1/2. Looking for something leaving from the East coast, preferably tropical rather than northern (ie Canada, New England etc.)
Thanks so much for any help!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 AM

Hi brigidsmom, welcome to Cruise-Chat. You might try Costa, or you might try calling the cruise lines individually, they may allow more than 4 in a suite. The easiest way to find out which cruise lines allow more than 4 to a cabin is to call a good travel agent that specializes in cruises. They will know which lines will/won't, how to book economically, and will be able to match your requirements to a cruise line. Best wishes and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 AM

Hello and welcome to cruise chat.

There are only certain ships that will accommodate 5 in one cabin. I know the Carnival Triumph will allow five. The newer ships are starting to have family staterooms. Royal Caribbean has a family stateroom on the Navigator and the Mariner that would accommodate five. You may have to go to larger suites on certain ships.

You may still want to compare the difference of paying for that higher category suite versus two cabins in a lower category.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 AM

Jan is correct here.. it may be more cost effective to book 2 adjoining cabins (with a door between them) Then a suite that can sleep 5. But the only way to find out is to ask.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-21-2008, 10:04 AM

I'll be taking my family of 7 and it's definitely less expensive to go with the two staterooms versus one suite. I can't remember the exact numbers but I want to say the savings are quite substantial. The only draw back is you can't do the reservation on line through the crusie line's website, you have to either call them or use a travel agent (I'm a do it yourself kind of guy and having to call a human doesn't seem humane to me). Our kids are teenage and pre-teen so we don't need a connecting room but we'd like them within a couple of cabins of where we are.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM

I wouldn't call that a draw back at all.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 AM

Thanks for all the great responses!

I think the connecting rooms might end up being the right way to go. I do have o say that I agree, I am much happier when I can book everything myself. All of my vacations for years and years now I have been able to book on line, and I just like the feeling of having some control over things (although I am sure that is just an illusion!) But I think I will have to break down and call someone for this one!
Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2008, 01:56 PM

Call and book early, as there are just a few cabins that actually connect via a door on the ships. During family vacation times, these sell out very quickly.

Sandy
Old 10-29-2008, 08:38 AM

I know Royal Caribbean has a family inside and family oceanview cabin that will sleep a family of 5 and is less expensive then a suite. I had friend travel in this room about two years ago on the Freedom of the Seas.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 AM

We did 5 on the Carnival Triumph and surprisingly, it was not that bad. 2 in the king bed, one hanging from the ceiling, one on the trundel and then a pull out for the floor. The nice thing is that once you have paid for the 2 adults, the other 3 are quite cheap. Plus, remember for the showers, etc - you can always use the big showers at the health club rather than fight for the single shower in your stateroom. I would do that again in a heartbeat vs. 2 rooms.

Lyle

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, carnival, cruise, cruises, expensive, families, family, freedom, line, of5, offers, room, seas, stateroom, triumph