Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2005, 01:49 AM

Hello,

Lana, thank you for your comments.

However, a friend is going on a 4 day RCL cruise out of Los Angeles, with my wife and I. He is paying the single supplement, and it seems to me that he is paying more than 150 percent not including port charges and taxes. His TA is AAA (Automobile Club of Southern California) so there is little likelihood of his being overcharged.

Here is another angle to this that we should add...the cruise lines may give T4 a price break because you are because you are booking 3 cabins. Further, the cruise lines may have a lower single supplement on selected sailings.

Lane is correct in that I should not have advised T4 that the single supplement is 200 percent.

Take care,

Fred
Old 11-04-2005, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Here is another angle to this that we should add...the cruise lines may give T4 a price break because you are because you are booking 3 cabins. Further, the cruise lines may have a lower single supplement on selected sailings.
Royal Caribbean's prices are the same no matter how many cabins you book. Even group prices are the same as individual cabin prices. They give perks to groups, but on Royal Carib, price break is not one of them.

Single supplements are generally 200% of the cruise price, plus the taxes for one person.

Sandy
Old 11-05-2005, 04:52 PM

Hello,

Sandy, thank you for responding. I did not mean to mislead T4 or anyone else about the single supplement. I thought that T4 should have an idea of the single supplement's costs.

This leads me to a question...which cruise lines are best in terms of their single supplement charges?

Fred
Old 11-05-2005, 08:30 PM

Fred, some cruise lines charge 150% of the price for a single. Some have what's called a "guarantee single" rate, which means you pay a little more than the double occupancy price and the cruise line assigns you to the cabin of their choice, usually an inside, often a minimum inside category. Some cruise lines have cabins meant for one person.

Choosing which cruise line is best for singles can be a little misleading, because if you get a great rate on a cruise line that's all wrong for you, what are you saving?

Sandy
Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 AM

Sandy,

You make an excellent point that a cruise can be the wrong one for a person and it might not be worth the cost saving. My problem is...I love to go on cruises and I am not difficult to please. On a cruise, I know that there will be something good to eat even the food and service is uneven, and the cabin will be reasonably comfortable. And to me a cruise is about the aesthetics, that is, the meeting of sky and ocean and the stars. Food, service cabin space and so on, are really of secondary importance to me.

Take care,

Fred
Old 11-06-2005, 01:59 PM

Fred, if price is your bottom line and "Food, service cabin space and so on, are really of secondary importance to me." then you'd want to look at the least expensive cruise line there is. Something along the lines of Regal Empress. Since the cruise lines charge a percentage of their regular fare to singles, it will also depend on the season and where it's going. A cruise line that charges 150% of the double occupancy price may cost you more than a cruise that charges 200%, if you take that cruise during an off season. Most of the mass market cruise lines charge somewhere between 150-200% except those that offer guarantee single rates.

Sandy
Old 11-06-2005, 03:14 PM

Sandy,

None of this is for me. I have been married to the same woman for 31 years. My wife and I both love cruising for the fun and enjoyment cruises bring to our lives. And my point is that all of the majors deliver (based on our 13 cruises on most of the majors and some premium cruise lines)at least a very good cruise experience. Yes, there are differences between cruise lines and ships, but to me the joys of being at sea on a cruise ship outweigh the minimal differences between ships. Price is a consideration of course because no one wants to be overcharged. When selecting a cruise the purchaser should carefully review as many variables as possible (price, ports of call, days at sea, air arrangements, inside/outside/balcony cabins, port of departure are some of the variables.

You are an excellent writer and a very knowledgeable traveler. Hope that you have many more great cruises.

Take care,

Fred
Old 11-06-2005, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fruby: When selecting a cruise the purchaser should carefully review as many variables as possible (price, ports of call, days at sea, air arrangements, inside/outside/balcony cabins, port of departure are some of the variables.
You are absolutely right! I agree, there are a lot of considerations.

<>

Thanks! I hope to, and I wish the same for you. Congratulations on your long marriage! Quite an accomplishment and a joy.

Sandy

Closed Thread