Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 04:20 AM

As anyone who has read my postings knows, I am about to leave on a Carnival cruise with four kids. 7 days out of Galveston.

My problem is that I have been contaminated by the 100+ negative CCL postings and reviews I have read. There have been good ones as well, but I am far more riveted by the negative ones. They are just more interesting. Problem: they are the last thing I think of at night and the first thought I have in the morning!

If anyone has a positive Carnival comment, post it here. Tom and Nancy, you can stand down. I already know what you are going to say! Get to work on our unequivocally fantastic cruise!!

Also, any tips on saving $$ would be appreciated. On the cruise, I mean. If I told you what my bill was at the end of my 5 day NCL in April you woulld kick me off this site for good.

So- if you have positive things to say about CCL, fire away.

Thank you!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:39 AM

Carla,

I concluded my first trip on a Carnival ship ("Carnival Liberty") a week ago. I must say that as far as the cruise experience is concerned, I was very positively surprised. Given that this was the ship's very first cruise (it hadn't even been christened, yet), things went extremely well. Service was good, and the food was excellent for a mass market line, definitely much better than on Royal Caribbean. The 24 hour pizzeria served the best pizza I've ever had on the high seas. I was, however, disappointed by the poor selection at the breakfast and lunch buffets (particularly breakfast).

As for the ship itself, well, it was certainly not build for Europeans, but still I was also positively surprised. It is by far not as gaudy and kitschy as other ships designed by Joe Farcus (including recent Costa ships).

Have a great trip and don't worry about the negative reviews!

Raoul Fiebig

Old 07-26-2005, 05:34 PM

My first cruise was on Carnival, and while I had a few 'negatives' I had a really great time. The food and facilities were enjoyable. We always found space to wander on the ship and our cabin was very spacious.

We did a lot of the shipboard activities and enjoyed them all. We saw the worst band in the history of music and had the MOST enjoyable time just humming along to their enthuasiasm while they adjusted their own sound, mikes and closed the curtain after their show. We always get a smile when we think of them.

Enjoy your cruise!

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 07-26-2005, 05:35 PM

OO oo and one more thing to save money - don't fall victim to the numerous onboard temptations to spend tons of money on something that would cost you less than half at home. Things like pictures, t-shirts etc. If you want the memories as souvenirs then fine, but it is possible to keep it on the cheap.

And book your own, or do your own tours in each port.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 07-26-2005, 07:08 PM

We went on our first cruise in June on Fantasy and loved it. We had 3 children 5, 12 and 15. It was perfect for them. Our room was cramped(our own fault though with 5 of us) but extremely comfortable and we were well taken care of. Like someone else said Bfst and lunch weren't "wonderful" but hey if your like me..If I don't have to cook it or clean it..its delicious! Price wise ..they have enough included food, bev, and acitivites that you "COULD" go ont he whole trip and not spend more than you paid orginally. We spent 250 more on board and 150 of that was tips. We spent 100 in port for a short tour. there are lots of opportunities to spend money but I never saw anything that was what I consider "must have"or "chance of a lifetime" purchase.

you'll have a blast.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 07-26-2005, 09:29 PM

Carla,

I have been most entertained by your posts. Thanks for the etc. With a liberal sprinkling of intelligence, of course. If nothing else, I expect your presence on that ship alone will add to the happy memories for at least some of your fellow pax.

I know that might sound ooy gooy syrupy but, any of our previous travels have been made memorable by the people we meet as much as anything else.

So may the cabin, the meals, the music, the tours be everything you are hoping for... but somehow I know you will make the best of things and will have at least one (we all hope, I'm sure) hilarious story to report. Things really are more fun to talk about when they involve at least one OMG!!! So. Here's to your trip!!

Rose
July '06 Tahitian Princess Honolulu to Papeete
Old 07-27-2005, 04:52 AM

Thank you, everyone! I will be five in a cabin as well, but I am five in a bedroom half the time because I am the only one who has an air conditioner. Add a giant train track to the mix and we will actually be more comfortable in a 190sf cabin.

I know what you mean about loving food you don't have to cook. Kids like buffets, anyway- gives them a sense of power. I have already decided to give them the night off on formal nights (although now one is saying he wants to).

I am booking the Belize cave tours on line. That is it. Everything else will be a taxi to a beach (thanks Tom for those recommendations) or just staying on board while everyone else leaves.

Shelby, 250 is a good amount for me to shoot for. That is about 20% of what I spent for two of us on a 5 day in April. Hahaha I have to laugh at that. This time I will actually pay attention to everything I sign for and I am tipping in cash only. I keep saying I won't be spending money on drinks this cruise, because I have kids on board, but that is completely illogical. Why wouldn't I drink just because I have kids with me? "No waiter, I am sorry. I will have lemonade or iced tea. As you can see, I have a fifteen year old with me! By the way, is there a chapel here? I like to get up at five a.m. and do my devotions for three hours before I eat healthily and work out (courtesy Tom Ogg)."
Old 07-27-2005, 06:36 AM

Carla,
Just sending my wishes for a great trip along with the rest of the c-c community. I will certainly look forward to hearing all the details when you return. I am sure you will have stories to share with us.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-27-2005, 07:26 AM

Carla, are you booking with Reggies in Belize? If so, be sure to tell him that Nancy Norris sent you. I suspect that will make it all that much better a trip. If I remember correctly, the Elation has a reasonable fitness center.

I can see that you will have a wealth of folks waiting anxiously for your next review. I am stoked that I get to be the first one to read it as I post it. I can't wait. I am laughing just thinking about it.

Have a great cruise.

Tom
Old 07-27-2005, 04:33 PM

In response to the original post: I have had a good time on all my past Carnival cruises. I will say when I first started cruising there appeared to be many more non-stop partiers on board than my most recent experiences. I think Carnival has done a good job of improving their image from the "crazy party ships" to "fun ships". There is a big difference.
Suzi

Closed Thread