Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 10:57 AM

We were wondering if anyone knows how much it is to use the internet for emailing while cruising?
Also, text messaging...has anyone had any connections while on cruise ship?
Or can anyone tell me the price to call home (Canada). One of our kids will be homesick, just trying to give her options.

Thanks
Darcie and Dennis

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

I don't use cell phones on cruises so I can't tell you much about that aspect. The information provided by RCI states it depends on your cell carrier and international roaming rates apply. All billing is done by your carrier.

As to the internet, on RCI the base fee is 55 cents per minute, but you can buy a block of minutes that lowers the per-minute cost. You can buy 60 minutes for $28, 90 minutes for $38, or 150 minutes for $55. Those were the prices last week.

Note that shipboard internet is not especially fast, and it can be off-line depending on the ship's location. On our Alaska cruise I think it was off-line more than it was working, and I never could get the wi-fi option to work so I had to rely on the ship's computers. Not sure if it was an issue with my having a Mac laptop or what, but those with Windows laptops seemed to be having problems too. I've never had a wi-fi problem on other RCI ships. I hadn't planned on lugging a laptop across the continent for no apparent reason, but that is what I ended up doing.

RCI doesn't have dedicated internet staff on their ships, so any problems you have are handled by the purser's desk. In other words you are really on your own unless a computer geek happens to be on duty at the desk.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:36 AM

The cost of staying in contact will be very high for kids who feel they have to call and text their friends constantly. As Dave says contact your provider for the international rates they'll be charging for calls and texts. I have a feeling it will be far higner than you'd imagine.

This is going to come out wrong so I apologize in advance. I would not allow my kids to even bring a cell phone on a cruise if they were considering staying in touch with their friend on my bill. If they have their own job and pay the phone bill, fine and dandy. I'd make them the offer of staying home if their beloved friends parents want them while the rest of the family cruised. Or leave the phone, laptop and every other form of electronic communication at home and spend the time enjoying the ship, family and new friends they meet there.

I've had parents contact me with stories of some of the bills they got from their kiddos phones while on vacation. You don't want to be one of these parents who end up paying more for Jimmy and Sally's phone bill than they did on the family cruise.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

Hi there. The rates on board are very high. You will pay up to 7.95 per minute depending on the cruise line. To send a text message is up to 1.50 depending on the cruise line. You may also pay extra from your service provider so it would pay to check with them. Most countries you will be able to pick up there local service provider and call home at a cheaper rate. Dont think that you will be able to use the terminal phones in port. All the staff use them to call home in there time off so you will have to go a good distance away from the ship. The rates are high but the office and company for the cruise lines makes these decisions on prices not the staff on board
Old 07-04-2008, 03:05 PM

Thank you so much for all your responses.
Great information....
TrvlPro - It did come across wrong however it is the internet and you can't type in your emotions. Its not her friends, she is my step daughter who unfortunately suffers from great anxiety of separation from her mom. We are praising her greatly for even considering going at all. I just want to know all my options and be prepared.
What about calling cards? do they work??

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What about calling cards? do they work??
Not that I am aware of.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:41 PM

DoubleD's, the calling card won't work if used from your cell phone but you can use public phones at the ports along with the calling cards. They sell international calling cards that are pretty cheap. The problem is finding public phones at the ports.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
calling, celebrity, cell, home, infinity, phone