Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2007, 06:20 AM

I notice some on cruise chat find it necessary to critize or mock, through the use of sarcasm, other's spelling, grammar and punctuations. I came across this message on another site and I believe we should think twice before we critize others spelling and grammar errors.

Spelling and Grammar Errors:

"It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies."
Old 03-30-2007, 07:23 AM

Or as CRAZYCRUISER would say when he burnt his hands with cleaning fluid. "who cares as long as you get the point"

as for me my Grammer and spellnig is allways perfect.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:01 AM
arckac, I will take your comments to heart and consider my wrists properly slapped.

But I still hate walkie-talkies!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
arckac, I will take your comments to heart and consider my wrists properly slapped.

But I still hate walkie-talkies!
Mr. Mattox

Until I read those comments on Cruise Critic's forum, I too would be troubled by poorly worded and completely mispelled posts. It was an eye opener and thought I would share it here.

As far as walkie-talkies, that's what makes a horse race.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Sometimes I type too fast and my letters get mixed up. I try to fix what I can but most people get the gist. We're all human. It was probably my post! Don't sweat the small stuff!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lowtyd:
Sometimes I type too fast and my letters get mixed up. I try to fix what I can but most people get the gist. We're all human. It was probably my post! Don't sweat the small stuff!
I agree 100% with you! I came back to these boards for this very reason. A few of the cruise chat boards I'm on have become very "nit-picking" in this very matter. I have never experienced it here, until now.

I'm a Nursing major, not an English major!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:26 PM

GINAG That would be "Knit- picking"
Old 03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator

I thought it was picnicking!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:45 PM

Hence the word "nit" meaning lice! What can I say, it's the nurse (school nurse) in me!

BTW Mr. October...I checked out your MySpace page.Really nice! Is that you singing? I love that song!!

~gina~
Old 03-31-2007, 03:24 AM

arckac,

while users are encouraged to write in a way that others can understand, these forums are not about orthography or proper English grammar, so I do very much agree with you.

What we do not want to see is e.g.

1.) writingwithoutspacesor
2.) USING ALL CAPS

etc.

Postings that include proper spelling and grammar are easy to read and users will more likely reply to them than to postings they can hardly understand. But as far as correcting others and making fun of their "bad spelling" or "horrible grammar" is concerned, the person who has never made any mistakes should throw the first stone!

Raoul Fiebig

Closed Thread

Tags
as, correcting, disability, errors, forum, grammar, grammatical, learning, me, noticing, spelling