Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Of course we are having a little fun here. It isn't so bad (yet) with the cell phones. I just fear for the future. Can you imagine how many cell phones will be in use at any given time on the Oasis?

Another aspect of the jammer - the RF from it could affect the ship's navigational and comm equipment. But we can dream....
Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 AM

My wife... a retired teacher who still subs some (hey we have to pay for those cruises someway!), says they are a big problem at schools and in class. You can not take them away from the students, you can ask them not to use the...we know how well kids listen!
they rule they can not take the cell phones away just incase a nut comes into class with a gun, and yes we know that can happen.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Maybe someday RCCL will build the Silence of the Seas (The SOS) and she will not be wired for Cell Phone service!

BillyBuzzy
Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by billybuzzy:
Maybe someday RCCL will build the Silence of the Seas (The SOS) and she will not be wired for Cell Phone service!

BillyBuzzy
I suppose they could but then they'd have to increase the base price of the cruise to make up the loss in profits from no cell phones.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:38 AM

I hate them, I wish they were never invented, but they have been and, unfortunately, are here to stay. I survived many years without a cell phone and am perfectly happy without one. I don't know of many people that use them for emergencies, most of the use is for pure nonsense. If cell phones were used appropriately, and not abused, they wouldn't be the public nuisance they are everywhere you turn. I enjoy a meal without a phone ringing much more than listening to the ringing and then the ridiculous conversations that follow. You can't help but hear the one side of the conversation as everyone seems to feel it is necessary to yell while using them. Jamming would be so much fun, but only if it sent a really obnoxious noise to both parties using the phones.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Hi, I am new here but thought I would post my 2 cents worth.

I hate walking around the ship and listening to other people on phones, just jabbering. Nothing important....or worse yet, ARGUING with someone and cussing.

Is is just me or are people just NOT aware that children are around. Yes, some adults (like myself) don't appreciate the cussing, but come on, do we really need to do that around kids? I know they hear it at school, but isn't the average person trying to be aware of what they say in public?

I take my cell phone for one reason only....The drive/or flight to the port, and the drive/flight back. Once I step into my cabin, the phone is turned off and put on the charger for the duration of the cruise. It's there if a real emergency happened, but I am not on it during the cruise.

I don't understand why so many people don't want to GET AWAY from it and the tv and all those day to day things that make life so boring. When I am on a cruise, nothing back home exists for me.

It just boggles my mind.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 AM

forgot to say.........I agree with penny3333, phones are abused.

I can proudly say that my minutes used last month was 80, yes eighty. That includes calls from my kids in the military, calls from my husband and friends. I don't give my number to everyone I know. It's for MY convenience. They can call my home number otherwise. My average minutes for any given month is 100 or less. One month, it was only 20.

The only time my minutes really go up is when I drive to my dad's house in Mississippi. There are several calls made during the drive.

Off my soapbox......sorry
Old 11-19-2008, 12:01 PM

Cellphone jammers silence annoying public chat.

Interesting article in today's paper.

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Nation...58486-sun.html
Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks Carole, I didn't mean to get on my soapbox either I'll wager that I haven't used 100 minutes on my phone in the last 2 years. It's going to change because I have to forward my work phone to my cell phone, but I am only going to answer during work hours. No weekends, no nights, and especially no cruise!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Okay, okay! I know jammers are dangerous AND illegal; I was just doing a little wishful thinking.

Gary, I just saw your question, and "yes", the smoke has been terrible. It started to ease up Monday, but this is what it looked like last Saturday (and it was a perfectly clear day--that is all smoke). The shot from the Sapphire Princess bridgecam really tells the tale. You can see all the way to the San Gabriel Monutains so you know it is a clear day; but the only blue sky you can see is that little patch at the far right.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cell, cruise, cruises, cruse, jam, leave, microwave, ovens, phone, pm, rooted, royal, sea, ship