Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 04:21 PM

Is it just me or are more and more people using their cell phones at sea?

A cruise ship used to be the only place you could go on vacation and be guaranteed that you wouldn't see a single cell phone for an entire week (except in port).

I hope the cruise lines get ahead of this trend and make public areas such as the pools and restaurants cell phone free. Computer free too! That's what the internet cafe is for.

I'm not saying passengers shouldn't be able to use them at all as there are many situations where they are appropriate. However, I spend a lot of time on the phone and computer at work and frankly, being away from those two items adds a lot of value to my vacation.

Am I alone or do others feel the same way?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

I agree with you, but unfortunately the cruise lines have gone in the other direction by expanding the options for cell phone use - and at cheaper prices. I'm not upset by the wi-fi areas. I use them myself and there is a big difference between someone quietly using a laptop as opposed to someone telling Cousin Vinnie at home what the drink special of the day is at the pool bar.

The terrible truth is that it will only become more ubiquitous. A lack of manners and civility is more at the root of the problem than the simple use of the cell phones. People are so inconsiderate of others these days.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm to the point I would pay a lot of money for a compact portable "jammer".
Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I would pay a lot of money for a compact portable "jammer".
Now that could be fun. Sitting around a table at the pool having drinks, taking turns with the jammer. Hmmm. This has promise.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
How much is a lot of money?

Hey Rick are you getting any smoke from the fires? My Mother-in-law lives in Corona and says it has been bad at times.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
This sounds awesome. Of course, I would only use it in the case of rudeness. Some people don't even have a concept of manners in public any more it seems.

Anyone that has been on the forum a while knows my feelings about rude people. I have threatened to throw cell phones overboard in the past. My chair saver's collection of towels grows with each cruise.

Dwayne
Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 PM

I agree, I am one who is glued to mine because of work. When I go on a cruise most landlock people here still understand they will have no contact with me for 7 days (they don't know of the recent advances in comm). But on our last cruise I go to the room to take a midday nap(something I never get to do at home) and some A-hole in the next cabin has left his phone on and left the room and someone is ringing it over and over. It hard to understand how we as humans have got to be so rude and where will we be in 20 more years
Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 AM

While I appluade your enthusiasm with the whole jammer concept. Be aware that the RF radiation required to jam the cell phone signals listed on Gary's link would be very large. Meaning that if you were ever concerned that you might be microwaving yourself with your cell phone near your brain, this thing should REALLY concern you. The CDMA frequencies approach those used by your microwave oven. I wouldn't want something putting out a lot of energy in that those bands to be near me.....
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 AM

I'm hearing so many people complaining about cell phones lately on cruise ships but I've never encountered that much abuse. Sure there might be someone talking loudly here & there but it's the exception from what I see. Possible I'm not bothered as much as some of you but it's still a nice option to have when needed.
Also- Having to carry around a jammer all day long just to use it once in a while doesn't quite seem justified.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
Be aware that the RF radiation required to jam the cell phone signals listed on Gary's link would be very large. Meaning that if you were ever concerned that you might be microwaving yourself with your cell phone near your brain, this thing should REALLY concern you.
Tis a small price to pay.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cell, cruise, cruises, cruse, jam, leave, microwave, ovens, phone, pm, rooted, royal, sea, ship