Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 03:41 PM

I would be interested to know from some of our wine aficionados here if there is any credence to the theory that the ship's motion harms the wine.

My thinking is, wait a minute, ships move less than the trucks wine is shipped in. A ship's motion is graceful. I understand those who bring wine because they prefer a specific vintage not available on board. But I have my suspicions about the origin of this theory.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:41 PM

I would be interested to know from some of our wine aficionados here if there is any credence to the theory that the ship's motion harms the wine.

My thinking is, wait a minute, ships move less than the trucks wine is shipped in. A ship's motion is graceful. I understand those who bring wine because they prefer a specific vintage not available on board. But I have my suspicions about the origin of this theory.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Banned

Now, I'm not a wine aficianado, but this is what I know. Although the motion of the ocean may be somewhat harmful, it is not major league harmful like shipping wine in a semi-truck. The reason is because the little bit of air between the cork and the wine can be forced by the violent action of the truck throughout the bottle of wine; that is, the air can physically be in contact with more of the liquid, exposing more of the wine to the air, which ages it more quickly and oxidation can occur. The exposure of wine to air in the bottle gently moving with ocean is significantly less than that on the truck. However, if the wine on a ship is not stored at the proper temperature and humidity levels, then, even the gentle movement of the ship will increase the breakdown of the wine.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Thank you, I knew that you would have good comments. Assuming that temperature and humidity is agreeable, then we could make the assumption that the wine on the ship is in better condition than the wine on a cross-country voyage by 18 wheeler.

That is why I say, "you learn more here by accident than elsewhere by design!"
Old 03-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

Well, a blind squirrel gets lucky once in a while and finds an acorn now and again.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

Part II on my prior discussion:

This is also a reason, whenever possible, one should pick up wine at the source. The good news, however, is that gas (I believe argon, but don't quote me on that), is pumped into the bottle at bottling, which displaces most of the oxygen in the bottle.

Imagine a fine bottle of wine that was purchased at the store; real sultry, and velvety, with some hints of dark chocolate. Just think how much better it would be if it hadn't traveled cross country in that semi truck.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:00 PM

I kind of felt that way after my days driving tractor trailer over the road. Would have been a a lot better without all that driving.

Well back to my cab...Sauvignon that is.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Banned

You felt sultry and velvety with hints of dark chocolate after driving a tractor trailer on a long haul? Wow.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:59 AM

No it was the gas comment.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Banned

I liked the sultry, velvety, chocolatey image better.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, derived, fine, motion, movement, ship, wine