Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 AM

I'm going on my 7th cruise in January and I've noticed that I get more seasick now than when I was on my first cruises. I've heard of people lining up at medical as soon as they get on the cruise for the patches that go below your ear. But does anyone know if you can get the patches prior to going on the ship? I don't have a primary care doctor so I'm not sure who to ask.

Thanks!
NCL Sun January 2002
NCL Majesty January 2006
NCL Dream October 2006
NCL Star January 2008
Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 AM

I'm going on my 7th cruise in January and I've noticed that I get more seasick now than when I was on my first cruises. I've heard of people lining up at medical as soon as they get on the cruise for the patches that go below your ear. But does anyone know if you can get the patches prior to going on the ship? I don't have a primary care doctor so I'm not sure who to ask.

Thanks!
NCL Sun January 2002
NCL Majesty January 2006
NCL Dream October 2006
NCL Star January 2008
Old 11-15-2007, 01:26 PM

What you're asking about is called "Transderm Scop" travel patches. A prescription is needed because the patches contain an anticholinergic agent called scopolamine. The patch is placed behind your ear and is good for 72 hours. You're suppose to put in on 4 hours prior to traveling. My wife has been using these for years and has never been sea sick. You may want to ask your pharmacist about how to get a prescription. Another recommended remedy is Ginger root. You can get them in capsules at a health food store. Some people say the wristband works for them. From experience, I know the patch works in rough seas. In calmer seas, I believe anything will work.

Sonny
Old 11-15-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks so much... I do have the wristbands and I've used dramamine, but I thought maybe I'd try the ear patch since everyone raves over them.
NCL Sun January 2002
NCL Majesty January 2006
NCL Dream October 2006
NCL Star January 2008
Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 PM
The cruise director on the Triumph made a joke of the patches.

A guy goes to the pursers desk to ask for a dramamine patch - they say they are all out. He comes back a little later and asks for a dramamine tablet - that they have and give him one. He then asks for a band-aid. He puts the tablet inside the band-aid and puts it behind his ear. He then says "AHH, I feel better already!"
Old 11-15-2007, 09:39 PM

The patch is actually quite effective (not the one used with a band-aid). If you know a Doctor in your state personally, he/she may be willing to call in a prescription for you. If not, you could try to schedule an appointment with a new primary care doctor or possibly go to the nearest urgent care center (not the E.R.). I wrote a prescription for them for my wife a few years ago and she never needed them, so we just take them with us every time. They are quite expensive and any more, most insurance companies make you pay a premium co-pay for them ($40 or more).

Old 11-16-2007, 01:52 AM

When you talk to your doctor or other health care provider, be sure to ask about possible side effects to the patch. The most common are dry mouth and blurred vision. Some people cut the patch in half and use just half at a time until they determine if they're going to have any side effects.

Sandy
Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 AM

Sandy is correct about the side effects. The most important thing you can do is if at any time they start to become too uncomfortable, TAKE THE PATCH OFF IMMEDIATELY!!!

Take care,

Brad

Old 11-16-2007, 05:55 AM

Another thing to consider: If you become seasick before you put on a patch, it won't do you any good to put one on. If you know your going to have some rough weather, put the patch on before you sail.

Sonny
Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 AM

I have never had a problem with sea sickness, but I have heard that eating a green apple helps. On my recent cruise on the Mariner of the Seas my friend was feeling queasy. I told her to try the apple, she did, and it worked for her. The apples are usually available up at the buffet area.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, effects, imagination, norwegian, patch, prescription, put, scop, seasick, seasickness, side, star, taking, transderm