Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 10:58 AM

My husband and I are going on a Western Caribbean cruise late this year. He is Cuban and left at the age of 3 in the 60s and never been back. We were wondering if the Island of Cuba could be seen from the ship on the way from Florida to Grand Cayman. I mean, can you actually take any decent (at a distance) pictures of Cuba? I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences on this respect.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Administrator

You really don't get close enough to take meaningful photos.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:08 PM

hello,

we sailed around cuba on the enchantment a couple weeks ago. if it was overcast around the island you could have gotten some descent photos. this was a western caribberan cruise.

later,

ezemoney

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-24-2007, 05:01 PM
I have never been close to get what I would call meaningful pictures. We could see the coastline though.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 03-24-2007, 09:14 PM

Yeah, I remember seeing a distant coastline too. I remember thinking how loooong it seemed. It seemed like we sailed past Cuba forever. Ah, to be on the open water again. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-24-2007, 11:51 PM
The last paradise on earth can be spotted on a nice day, but unfortunately not close enough to get nice pictures.

My big dream is to visit Cuba before its too late.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:07 AM

That is my husbands dream too. To visit before it is too late. I guess it is a real vacation hot spot for canadians and europeans. I looked into flights, you can go via mexico. I even bought a Lonely Planet Cuba book. When americans go, they request to not have their passport stamped. What really scared me, was the HUGE fine, thousands of dollars fine, if you get caught. There are even lawyers listed, that special in keeping your butt out of jail. Yikes! I just don't have the nerve to go. I think we will go immediately after it opens up, whenever/if that occurs. I hear it is very cheap and beautiful. Lil' Lori

Old 03-25-2007, 06:50 AM
I heard so too. It's a shame that the US is acting this way.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Banned

Lori,as a Canadien I was priveliged to go to Cuba wih my family 2 boys 15&18 at the time. It is truly a beatiful contry.We stayed at an all inclusive in caya-coco,but on 2 occasions we left the resort.We rented a jeep and drove to the end of the island.We also spent the day in Moron.I will always be touched by the effects that politics has had on these inocent people as was Ernest Hemingway.The people of Cuba are strong and hard working.Some of the best Latin music comes from the island( my oldest son is a drummer and learned the timballais while we were there)If you would like to see some photos please feel free to contact me.We learned many lesssos while in Cuba.despite the poverty their medical and school systems are very advanced.My children have appreciated their freedom as never before since we have returned.After all we all come the same race(the human race)Hopefully I will see the day when all Cubans can come and go as thy please and You will all be as priveliged as I to visit this beautifull part of our great planet!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks so much to everyone for the replies. It's a shame cruises can't actually get "too close" to the Island, but my hubbie says he will still keep a watchful eye, hoping for a glimpse of his beloved home country...

BTW Bruce, we really enjoyed reading your anecdotes, thanks for the excellent writing. He also dreams about the day that for once, he can see his Cuba Libre!

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cloe, close, cruise, cuba, distance, florida, how, legend, sail, ship, ships