Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 PM

My wife and I are contemplating our first cruise around Christmas (about a week, most probably in the Caribbean, but Mexico (Pacific side) is another possibility). Please help us pick a cruise line. We're middle-aged, no children. Rest and relaxation is more important to us than non-stop entertainment. Three things we'd like to avoid are 1) smoking; 2) unruly children; 3) noisy party animals. I realize it's impossible to predict who ends up in the staterom next to yours, but I presume there are some cruise lines that attract children and partygoers more than others.

We'll appreciate any guidance -- thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:42 PM
If you go during Christmas Holiday break...there will be children!
The rooms are quiet we've never heard our neighbors. RCCL has been very, very good for us! Although I know there are others such as the Princess ISland ships. My dad travels Carnival and his videos always look quite a bit different than ours as far as the clientel.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Three things we'd like to avoid are 1) smoking; 2) unruly children; 3) noisy party animals.
Cousins is right that there will be children on Christmas cruises on every cruise line. However, I think your best shot at meeting your requirements may be with Holland America. I'd check their itineraries and see if you like any.

Sandy
Old 09-09-2007, 02:28 PM

Welcome to cruise-chat!

My husband and I are also middle-aged. We enjoy a cruise for the scenery and relaxation, plus having the opportunity to share so many memorable experiences.

We have cruised on RCCL four times and Celebrity twice. For sheer relaxation, we really enjoyed Celebrity Summit. The Summit and several other Celebrity ships have an adults-only Thalassotherapy (sp.) Pool that is wonderful.

We do feel that RCCL has tastier food than Celebrity. But this is only our opinion. Others have disagreed on that!

We went on our cruise the week of December 13th and there were very few kids on board. The ones who were there, were very well behaved.

Whichever line you choose, I know you will have a wonderful time. There is nothing like cruising!!

Nadine
Old 09-09-2007, 03:28 PM

We liked Holland America. We have done 2 cruises through them. My husband is 54 and I am 47, no children. While there were children on the ship, we hardly ever saw them.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mooneydriver:
My wife and I are contemplating our first cruise around Christmas (about a week, most probably in the Caribbean, but Mexico (Pacific side) is another possibility). Please help us pick a cruise line. We're middle-aged, no children. Rest and relaxation is more important to us than non-stop entertainment. Three things we'd like to avoid are 1) smoking; 2) unruly children; 3) noisy party animals. I realize it's impossible to predict who ends up in the staterom next to yours, but I presume there are some cruise lines that attract children and partygoers more than others.

We'll appreciate any guidance -- thanks in advance!
We have been on the Carnival Spirit 8 day to Mexico once and getting ready to go again.Will probably take it at least one more time.
Since it is an 8 day it seems to attact less kids. Also the prices almost the same as the 7 day.
If you quality ask for a Verterans rate, it makes it even better.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
If money is not an problem then try one of the upscale lines ...usually less children
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 PM

My wife and I have always preferred the Princess Cruise lines for a more relaxing clientele. The few children that tend to be on board seem to be better behaved than on other lines with which we have cruised. If you cruise at a time when most children are in school, your odds are better of having fewer children. We have been on 12 cruises -- nine of which have been on Princess. We have yet to be disappointed. Take advantage of the Adults Only pools and spas. Have a great cruise whatever line you choose.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 PM
From the way you describe yourselves, I would say Princess would be a good fit for you. Like Papa Bear, I have been on many Princess cruises and have not been dissapointed. I feel they are probably the best value for the dollar.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:46 AM

At Christmas time there will be children (loud teens would be more of a problem for me). Anyhow, I recommend a Holland America cruise on a smaller ship. Look into the longer 10 day cruises if you can. Stay away from the shorter 3-5 day cruises as these will have a higher percentage of kids.
HAL has no rock wall, no skating rink, no mini putt, and no Karaoke (sp?). Things I would never use. It is not known as a party line and you will find more seniors on the longer cruises.
Celebrity is also a premium line without the extra activities so I would think there would be also be fewer children on board.

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004

Closed Thread

Tags
age, aged, animals, avoid, children, choices, cruise, line, middle, narrow, party