Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 02:01 AM

I've done three cruises, 4th scheduled, love it.

I see some specials on 'repositioning cruises' that look very appealing (price/value/etc).

My question is this ... how ruff might it be crossing the Atlantic (seems like it's 5-6 days generally).

I do realize it's possible to catch some bad weather and ruff conditions regardless, but I try to avoid things like hurricane season, and would prefer to go when and where conditions are likely to be decent. I've done Eastern/Western Caribbean and down the west coast of Mexico, gone December, January and March, all went well.

So understanding anything is possible ... in general ... what's the odds and probabilities look like for a transatlantic respositioning cruise relative to weather and smooth sailing. The lovely girl I adore and will soon marry is a bit sensitive to motion sickness, did great the first cruise ... but I think the romantic enhancement effects of a good cruise will be far better if we aren't on ruff seas for several days ... so I ask
Old 07-27-2006, 03:22 AM

We have done the Splendour TA last year. Take a look at my review: www.oppermann-wuppertal.de and the link Atlantik 2005. Itīs also available in english and Iīve made detailled weather reports.
It depends also if you are doing the southern crossing like we did or the northern crossing to N.Y. That could be very rough. But you canīt say, it will be like this or like that. The first officer told us, if we had left Barcelona 2 days later we should have been hit by some parts of a hurrican, that hit the eastcost some days before.

We are now doing the TA on the Voyager in november and I hope, it will be as smooth as the TA on the Splendour. But who knows?

Marita

Old 07-27-2006, 09:19 AM

Have to agree with oppis - one never knows. My experiences have been quite good actually. I always enjoy days at sea much more than bouncing from port to port ("if its Tuesday, it must be St. Thomas" - again).

Old 07-27-2006, 09:46 AM

Hi ... Tony again ...

OK, I do realize that it's impossible to say for sure ... and that you could hit some ruff going anywhere if it happens ...

But for example ... I've done the Caribbean 2X (east on Carnival Victory and west on Celebrity Mercury) and down the west coast (San Diego to Mexico on Celebrity Infinity) ... I chose March, January, and December (outside of hurricane season) ... for this reason hoping for smoother sailing.

basically there was one day on each, usually the at sea day, where there was enough motion that it bothered some, I didn't get ill, but could see how it could get that way, and obviously that spoils the trip (or that part) ...

a friend was coming back from Hawaii to Encenada and they hit 3 days straight of very ruff (gale force winds) weather ... they found it extremely unpleasant.

I see the transatlantic part is about 5-6 days ... on relatively smooth going sounds wonderful ... on ruff seas sounds like an eternity if you're green and ill (and certainly no fun).

So while there's no absolute guarentee ... what's the probability? is one route better than another (generally)? is there a generally good vs bad time to do this?

I'm also thinking some ships (probably bigger, more stable and or suitable for this type of crossing) are better bets than others ???

So that 'general' or 'better bets' type of info is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Ok.. just to be Mr Funny man... Crossing the Atlantic is not "ruff" at all since no dogs are allowed.... Whahahaha I crack my self up.... Ok.. so it really wasn't that funny..
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-28-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Crossing the Atlantic is not "ruff" at all since no dogs are allowed
Wrong! QM2 has a kennel and they do crossings all the time.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:42 PM

Im sure youll be fine.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:48 PM

OK I'm asking seriously ... and I'd hope for some answers like this ...

I read Tom Oggs report on Travel Insurance and how they brought in a helicopter for a medical emergency but there were 40' swells so they brought in a plane to give the chopper guidance relative to landing.

Are 40' swells common place on the open ocean? Is that ruff? How ruff?
And how does that tend to compare with say the Caribbean or west coast of Mexico?

I've had two days, one at sea from Miami to Grand Cayman on Celebrity Mercury 77K tons where it was fairly choppy, they had the barf bags out all over, the crowd at dinner was noticeably smaller, it was definitely noticeable, but not horrible (of course I didn't get sick, felt slightly off). And one in route from San Diego south, a day at sea, boat moving along, less than that other time, clearly noticeable, my companion felt queezy, put on a patch, felt off but didn't get sick sick.

And I've mention my neighbors returning Hawaii to Encinada through 3 days of really ruff weather, and they aren't interested in going again.

So please understand for those of us who haven't the experience or knowledge to make a reasonable comparison, it would be great if someone could elaborate on the various considerations and differences.

I see some really great looking deals on repositioning cruises (example Golden Princess 17 days Rome and several European stops, 6 days across the Atlantic, Florida, day at sea, Galveston ... in November $1200 inside, $1400 ocean view. That looks very appealing (price/value). They have the same deals going over in late April or May. And 6 days at sea sounds like it could be very relaxing, I enjoy being on the ship ever bit as much as the ports, I like cruising ... but 6 days could seem an eternity if you were sea sick. I'm usually just fine, but I don't think I've ever been in 'ruff weather'.

So again, I'd truly appreciate some well described facts, info, what's likely, etc.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2006, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Hi Tony. I wish I could tell you what to expect in terms of swells, but the Atlantic is unpredictable.

Years ago, we did a Bermuda cruise in late October. The seas were smooth as glass on the way there, but were very choppy on the way back just four days later - enough that many pax skipped dinner.

We've also done a transatlantic (during August), and were blessed with calm seas. Then, on another trip to Bermuda a couple of years later, also during August, we skirted around Tropical Storm Irene -- and had very calm seas on the way home later that week. So, you never know.

I highly suggest that you have seasickness remedies on hand, just in case. I've found that a green apple works very well for me. (It passed the Tropical Storm Irene test. ) Ginger also works great -- you can purchase ginger tablets before you go, so it's always on hand. Then, there are the over-the-counter meds, but check with your physician before you buy.

This sounds like a great cruise/crossing that would be a shame to miss. If you're prepared, you should be fine.

Closed Thread

Tags
atlantic, crossing, crossings, cruise, cruises, december, dress, guests, quotes, repositioning, reviews, ruff, sea, sick, weather