Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 06:43 PM

My husband and I are hoping to do a transatlantic cruise next spring but are finding one way flights to be cost prohibitive. We'll end up back in San Antonio, TX but are willing to fly to a city that Southwest services and get back to San Antonio from there. Anyone know of any way to get a decent one way arifare from Amsterdam to the U.S.?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Agutaya, are you looking at booking your own air travel, or going with the cruise line's? This is one instance in which the cruise line's air package might be worth looking into, as one-ways are typically very pricey.

Occasionally, the cruise line's air package might also include transfers -- something else to consider. (We paid 35 Euro from Schiphol Airport into Amsterdam last month via taxi.)
Old 08-16-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestion of using the cruise line. I thought they were always higher. We booked our first cruise with air through the cruise line and paid dearly for our "educational experience." We could have saved $100s. Oh, well, it's only paper. We had a great cruise anyway. I'll check on the cost through RCCL, along with continuing to research other options.
Mary
Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 AM

Hello,

You really have to dig but here are some ideas...check Aer Lingus (the airline of Ireland) as they had some very reasonable fares when we did our transatlantic a couple of years ago. Look at flights from Europe to Dallas Fort Worth. Look at other airports that connect with Amsterdam (but this means keeping your luggage under 50 pounds per person or whatever the European airlines weight limits are).

Flights from the Dublin Ireland airport had some excellent airfares to the USA.

Don't get discouraged because I'm sure you will find something reasonable.

Hope that this helps.

Fred
Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 AM

Mary,

I don't know whether the following is possible for bookings made in the U.S. (it is here in Germany), but what I've done quite a few times already is to buy a round-trip ticket that was cheaper than buying one-way and I simply didn't use the second leg.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 AM
I found a good price from BCN to MIA with Swiss air but didn't book it right away now the price is triple.
The other problem is many agencies will not book OW flights not originating in North America.
So even if you find a cheap flight on some online booking system you may not be able to purchase it.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 08-17-2007, 08:44 AM

Hello,

I did some checking yesterday because my wife and I are considering a transatlantic cruise.

Aer Lingus has very reasonable fares from Amsterdam to DFW with a change of planes in Dublin. Aer lingus has a code share arrangement with American Airlines.

Go to the Aer Lingus website. The quote will be in Euros, and you can get the amount in dollars using the Yahoo finance website (or another currency converter).

You might want to contact American Airlines as they have had reasonable airfares to Dublin from DFW and ORD.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I know that this is a lot of work but it is well worth it because a transatlantic cruise is really very special and the overall cost of the cruise and airfare is reasonable.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 AM

This is a great topic! We generally do 2 transatlantics a year (spring and fall) and dealing with the air issues is a labor NOT of love. Since we do normally spend some time in Europe, and can be flexible, we look at all options. As the previous poster mentioned, Aer Lingus has good 1 way fares and they do fly from many European cities (through Dublin or Shannon) to places like Washington/Dulles, Boston, and New York. The benefit is that you can stop-over in Ireland for a few days at no additional air cost. Another decent low cost airline is LOT (Polish airline) which flies out of Warsaw. But, they do run quite a few regional jet flights from European cities to Warsaw where you can connect to low cost flights to Newark or JFK. Another trick, for those of us who do 2 transatlantics a year, is to book a round-trip ticket that can be used to handle two transatlantics. For instance, take an April cruise to Europe, fly home, than fly back to Europe in the fall (other half of the ticket) and cruise back home. When looking for 1 way fares its also helpful to be a bit flexible in your departure/arrival cities. For example, its usually cheaper to fly from or to Nice than it is to Rome. So, we will sometimes rent a car in Italy and spend a week or two working our way up to Nice (you can also do this on trains). And lastly, there is a German discount airline called LTU that has daily flights to and from Dusseldorf...and they do sell cheap one-way tickets. Although Dusseldorf is a bit out of the way, it can easily be accessed by train (or rental car) and does open up some interesting ideas for European travel itineraries.

Hank
Old 08-17-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Agutaya
We've already booked our air for this TA. The best prices I found are with a stopover in Dublin. Aer Lingus has a direct flight to Dublin from Amsterdam. Dublin is a great place for a stopover too. Like another poster suggested, RCCL air to San Antonio is $779 pp. not too bad if you don't have time to stop in Dublin.

Closed Thread

Tags
airfare, back, cruise, cruises, cruse, dsseldorf, europe, european, fly, home, lisap, reviews, transatlantic, transatlantice, transatlantics, york