Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 PM
This is a question for those of you who use a C-PAP machine; and took such a C-PAP machine with you on a cruise (or know someone who did):

Yes, I have been diagnosed with OSA and consequently be given a C-PAP (actually a Bi-PAP) machine. I was wondering if the water on a cruise ship is OK to use with my Bi-PAP machine? I already am bringing along some of my steam distilled water which I normally use in my Bi-Pap; just in case. This will be the first time I will be bringing along my Bi-Pap on a trip (cruise or not).

I like to use distilled water since it leaves no hard water residue in the water reservoir of my Bi-Pap. Maybe a cruise ship's water is obtained from desalanating sea water? If so, it too will be the same water as I use normally in my Bi-Pap (distilled).
Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 PM
This is a question for those of you who use a C-PAP machine; and took such a C-PAP machine with you on a cruise (or know someone who did):

Yes, I have been diagnosed with OSA and consequently be given a C-PAP (actually a Bi-PAP) machine. I was wondering if the water on a cruise ship is OK to use with my Bi-PAP machine? I already am bringing along some of my steam distilled water which I normally use in my Bi-Pap; just in case. This will be the first time I will be bringing along my Bi-Pap on a trip (cruise or not).

I like to use distilled water since it leaves no hard water residue in the water reservoir of my Bi-Pap. Maybe a cruise ship's water is obtained from desalanating sea water? If so, it too will be the same water as I use normally in my Bi-Pap (distilled).
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Yes, the ships do distill sea water, but the water that comes out of the tap is not 100% disdilled; it is a mix or distilled and purified, so you may want to bring your own 100% distilled.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Thank you, F-mattox.

I already have the water packed-away and ready.

I can't wait! My cruise is less than a day away!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 AM

I use a CPAP machine and I just used the ships tap water. I did not see that just 7 days of their water hurt it in any way. But if you can bring your own water then you won't have to worry about it. We also took a power strip because we was worried about the plug in situation. Our stateroom attendent gave us an extension cord to plug my machine into, so everything worked out just great!

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas
Old 11-09-2007, 02:36 PM

I don't use a bi-pap machine, but I have it on good authority that the ship's water should be fine to use in it.

Sandy
Old 11-11-2007, 01:12 PM

I have also used a C-PAP machine in the past and am actually a physician, so I can tell you it is perfectly fine to use the ships water in your Bi-PAP machine. Using distilled water is recommended for the long term maintenance of the machine and has nothing to do with anything therapeutic. Using non-distilled water for a week won't hurt anything.

Enjoy your cruise,

Brad

Closed Thread

Tags
bipap, bring, caribbean, carnival, cpap, cruise, cruiser, cruises, distilled, machine, royal, ship, ships, tap, water