Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 04:09 PM

Has anyone had medical attention on the ship, wondering how that goes?
We are going on our first cruise with our young daughter who is a type one diabetic, we are confident we can manage but should we need assistance ...just wonder how the level of care and competency is ...

Darcie and Dennis

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-07-2007, 04:09 PM

Has anyone had medical attention on the ship, wondering how that goes?
We are going on our first cruise with our young daughter who is a type one diabetic, we are confident we can manage but should we need assistance ...just wonder how the level of care and competency is ...

Darcie and Dennis

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-07-2007, 04:24 PM

They have a very good facility. There are two doctors on board that can handle most medical situations. While on a cruise last December my daughter fell and was taken to the infirmary for x-rays. On another cruise, my wife had a very severe migrain, and she got better attention than when treated at our hospital. I would say the level of care and competency is high.

Sonny
Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM

My experience was the opposite. Last January, I fell in the bathroom on Celebrity Mercury, falling backwards into the shower, and hitting my back on the divider. Although the medical assistance arrived quickly when my husband dialed the emergency number, and the doctor was attentive, the equipment was rudimentary. I had to stand for an xray,(basic, unsophisticated and limited equipment) and she diagnosed it a "soft tissue injury" as on her xray (or with her radiology skills) she saw nothing. She did administer pain injections evening and morning the remaining two days of the cruise. (I do have to say that in writing she advised me to see an orthopedist on my disembarkation.) I had a very severe compression fracture of the T10 vertebrae, which entailed tremendous pain and a long recovery.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:30 PM

I agree with Sonny. I am a RN, I work in Medical ICU, in a Level 1 trauma center. Anyways, I asked for a tour of the medical facility on a RCCL ship. I don't remember which ship it was. They had 2 or 3 rooms, one of them was there ICU room. They had a ventilator, (breathing machine), they are able to do basic blood work, xrays. What really impressed me, is they can also do blood transfusions. They said they keep a few units for a real emergency. They said most of there "emergencies" where diabetic, GI and cardiac in nature. The RNs on this ship were from England. Britain has VERY competent RNs. They are HIGHLY skilled. You are in good hands with them. I am sure the MDs would be just as competent, I did not meet the Dr on the ship, just the RNs. My mom was seen in a ship doctors office on Princess, to rule out a heartattack. They did rule it out. She told me what they did, I don't remember now, but I do remember I thought it was appropriate. I would feel very safe, taking a diabetic family member on a cruise. If she is very brittle, maybe consider taking out trip insurance. Hope this helps. Enjoy your first cruise. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM

I would agree that handling a trauma situation in a ships medical facility would be difficult. Recognizing a fracture, can be tricky, especially in smaller bones. I would feel that they could stabilize you, till you are choppered off, or however you depart for a medical facility on shore. But, in my opinion a general medical condition, I would feel safe and competent. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Darcie,

Given the increased instance of diabetes among all of us, I feel safe in saying that it isn't a problem as far as it being within the capabilities of the typical cruise ship medical team. My favorite RN has already responded to you (Hi Lori!), and she is quite correct in her expert opinion of the shipboard resources.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Being a physician, I can tell you that I am 100% confident that the medical facilities and personnel on the ship are capable of handling most any emergency. It is true that they are not a level 1 trauma center, but I do know that the physicians are well qualified to handle most any situation. The cruise lines only hire Doctors with E.R., family medicine or internal medicine training and won't hire anyone who is not completely qualified by both training and experience.

I can tell you that while diabetes is a very serious illness, it is generally not difficult to manage in the short term. Most of the problems a doctors runs into with diabetes are related to long-term management and should not be a major deal during a one week cruise.

Take care and best of luck,

Brad

Old 11-10-2007, 02:59 PM

Thanks so much for all your responses!!

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
attention, care, cruise, doctors, lines, medcine, medical, reviews, ship