Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2006, 03:34 AM

I know this may sound silly, but I am investigating digital cameras for my upcoming cruise. I have two already, but whenever we go off of the ship , I am always worried about the camera getting ruined from water. I do not know if I need a camera that is necessarily waterproof, or water resistant. I found a waterproof camera (Olympus 720) but the lcd screen is not an upgraded screen (able to see in the bright sun) . The olympus 800 has the upgraded screen, but it is not waterproof, only water resistant. Any thoughts? Anyone have a great digital camera that they might like to write about?
Old 05-20-2006, 03:34 AM

I know this may sound silly, but I am investigating digital cameras for my upcoming cruise. I have two already, but whenever we go off of the ship , I am always worried about the camera getting ruined from water. I do not know if I need a camera that is necessarily waterproof, or water resistant. I found a waterproof camera (Olympus 720) but the lcd screen is not an upgraded screen (able to see in the bright sun) . The olympus 800 has the upgraded screen, but it is not waterproof, only water resistant. Any thoughts? Anyone have a great digital camera that they might like to write about?

Old 05-20-2006, 08:23 AM

I don't know about great, but I think I have seen disposable digital cameras in my local Walgreens. (I may be mistaken.) In any case, I've had good luck with disposable film cameras, and have found their picture quality is really pretty good.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:38 PM

suitecruiser,
I have also been looking for a good waterproof camera. I have found that Best buy and other electronic stores now sell waterproof cases that you can put right over your digital camera. They are not cheap and it would also depend on wether or not they make one for your model, but it is something to check into. I happened to find a great 35mm waterproof cannon at a yard sale of all places. It was a couple who snorkled alot and wanted to upgrade to digital. I am so happy to have found it and can not wait to use it on my Aug. cruise.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:20 PM

One of my husband's reporters did a series where she checked digital cameras and video recorders. Included were a few of the disposable cameras. While the quality of the disposable cameras was nowhere near what it was with a good digital camera, the resulting photos were still pretty good. Of course, the quality varied between brands of disposables, too. The photos made with the really cheap cameras were not as clear as those made with the better disposables.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 05-21-2006, 07:36 AM

Hi,
I own a camera store in New Port Richey, Florida and we sell digital cameras, so I hope I can help you.
From what you wrote, you are concerned about your camera gettig wet, you aren't planning on taking your camera swimming or diving with you. If you concern is ony that the camera will get wet then a water resistant camera will work fine for you. These cameras can get wet, even dunked in water for a very shot time and it won't hurt the camera. Just wipe it off with a towel. If it is salt water, than you will want to clean it with fresh water to get the salt off. The Olympus stylus 600 & 800 are good cameras for that. If you're snorkeling, the new Olympus stylus 720 can be taken under water up to 10' deep (and can be dropped from 5' onto the floor) and still work. Buy this one if you plan on taking the camera into the pool or if you worry about dropping the camera and breaking it. Underwater housings are available from most camera manufacturers for their cameras . They sell for $150-$250 on tope of the camera pricre, and you must buy the right housing to fit your camera. These are good for divers as they can go underwater up to 150'.

As for the screen in the sunlight problem, it seems that most of the manufacturers are doing away with optical viewfinders in favor of the large screen only. If the sun is at the wrong angle, they all are hard to see. Canon still has optical viewfinders on most of their cameras, but none are weatherproof. Delkin Devices makes a hood that sticks onto the back of the camera to create a shade. It also doubles to protect the screen from scratches. I would highly recommend one of these, about $25.00.

Finally, before you go to the big box store (Best Buy, Walmart, etc...), check if you have a good local camera store in your area. Their prices are usually compeititive and the information you gain from them will be much better than what you get from most salespeople in the big box store.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.
Jim
Old 05-22-2006, 08:53 PM
I have heard of another waterproof (or should I say "water-resistant") digital camera. It is the
Pentax Optio W10

It has a 6MP Resolution. Also it has a "JIS Class 8" waterproof rating (whatever that means).

[link=http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/vc/][image noborder]http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/Cruise_on_Carnival_Glory/Eastern_Caribbean_here_I_come!/200611110000_14.gif[/image][/link][link=http://www.caribbeanmag.com/search/all_inclusive_resorts/]Caribbean All Inclusive Resorts[/link]

Closed Thread

Tags
camera, cameras, cruise, digital, florida, hood, lines, norwegian, pentex, port, richey, shop, sold, waterproof, wet