Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 AM

I don't know Cas, part of cruising, to me, is visitng the ports. I do enjoy exploring the ship, but I love going ashore. I love snorkeling, I'm in the Caribbean, what a waste it would be not to take advantage. Plus, I can understand watching what you eat, but I'd rather do that once I get home. To each their own, but I'm on a cruise and am going to enjoy every aspect, including the food!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM

There are many people that would love to cruise, but are afraid to do so because they fear they will put on a lot of weight. This fear may be based on medical or pyschological fears. Nevertheless, This article showed that there's healthy alternatives on cruises.

Not having read the article in whole it is hard to determine if her "recommendations" were written as absolutes, or just suggestions. Based on what you provided Cas, it doesn't sound like this author is very well experienced or has the background with cruising. Cruising is a great value and there are many ways to enjoy a cruising vacation. Travel is educational and exploring and visiting ports, experiencing different cultures and cuisine are part of the cruise adventure. Everyone's idea of a vacation is different. Perhaps her's is just staying on the ship and relaxing.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Could she have been on one of the special "Weight Watchers" cruises?
Didn't Richard Simmons host one of those once? I thought I would gain weight on my last cruise with all the food, beer, and late night pizza and room service I consumed. I actually lost a couple of pounds. I was much more active than normal with walking and snorkeling etc. I even did the 5K On deck for a cure walk. That about pooped me out though.

Dwayne
Old 02-10-2009, 05:05 AM

Yes, I believe Richard Simmons did several cruises.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Yes, there were several "Richard Simmons" cruises in the '90s...maybe later, too. One of my family members went on one. Cas, the article you describe does sound like something similar.

I have a weight problem in real life, yet I usually lose weight on cruises. I'm able to go to the gym every day (instead of twice a week at home), I rarely eat at the buffet (to control portion size), and have more vegetables than I usually do. I also do a walk-a-mile around the promenade deck nearly every morning. I jokingly asked my doctor if she could prescribe cruises so that I may use the cost as medical-related tax deductions. (Sorry, we can't.)

That said, I still order, on occasion, an extra dinner item in the main dining room. I'm usually one to skip dessert, though, in favor of a cheese or fruit platter.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 AM

Sandy, we have done some all inclusives but return to cruising and can't wait to be out there again.

Enjoy Maui, we were lucky enough to spend a week on Oahu and another on Maui and I am REALLY envious of you. If I were to do it again that would be my choice of islands or that one and one of the others. Oahu is nice, but its busy around the city. Not for me.

Aloha !!

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-20-2009, 06:53 AM

On our first cruise, I ordered Two Entrees every night! I Never felt a tinge of embarrasement about it. Is many here have stated, It's part of the funn of cruising.

As far is being concerned about gaining weight, my DW had weight loss surgery about a year before our last cruise and she was Very Concerned about gaining. In fact she lost 8 lbs. during the cruise do to the amount of walking you do in ports Shopping!

I wouldn't be overly concerned. I don't think you can Totally Wreck your Weight Loss Plan in one week on a cruise.

*CARNIVAL LEGEND - SEPT. 2006 / EASTERN CARIBBEAN*
Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 AM

IT'S VACATION PEOPLE!!! Eat to your heart's content. I work out, bicycle, and walk almost every day at home. When I am on a cruise... do not block my way to a buffet or look at me crazy when I order 3 lobster tails and two chocolate melting cakes. A year is 365.25 days long... Lately, I tend to cruise about 20 days a year. I am going to splurge on the 20 and use the rest for recovery and diet.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM

My first cruise I was worried about gaining weight since I am not in the best shape to start with. I didnt hold back on eating when i was hungry but I did end up loosing weight due to shore excursions and working out in the gym on the ship. We asked for a shrimp cocktail on the 3rd night or so and every night after the waiter had one waiting for us when we got there!! That wasnt even on the menu!! We both ordered multiples of the lobster but typically we just got different foods and shared.

I can not wait until our next cruise on the oasis next year. I hope the food will be as good as the the ship will be I am already looking forward to eating everything I want!!!

Mariner of the Seas Jan 2007
Oasis of the Seas April 2010
Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 AM

I agree with those that have mentioned portion sizes or if it is ones favorite dish as is anything lamb for me. I will always order several portions of it and have on several occassions called the dining room ahead to make sure that we do not schedule away on that night and miss out.

Peter1

Closed Thread

Tags
bottomless, boys, cruise, dining, dinner, double, entree, entrees, hungry, lobster, order, ordering, pit, ship, teen