Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Is it just me or are their others out there that are just embarressed to ask for more than one entree.....Do a lot people really do that? When we have been on cruises we have never really seen anyone order more than one of anything, except for dessert maybe...

I don't want to be wasteful, but sometimes I really want to try a couple of things but just can't bring myself to doing it, I feel like red sirens will go off....

Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM

You shouldn't be embarrassed. That's what makes cruising so great. It's your opportunity to try different things. I just came off the Grandeur. My husband and others at our table ordered double entrees or double appetizers on certain night. For instance, on the formal night they had escargot and my husband ordered two. He loves them. If your concerned about waste, just ask if someone else would like to share a second dessert, entree, or appetizer so you can at least try something different.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM

When my husband and I went on a cruise a few years ago, he ordered more than one item once because he couldn't decide which one to have. know one said anything. I think people usually are too busy with their own meals to notice. Although if your table was full with every item offered everynight and you were wasting then the people you are sitting with might notice.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-04-2009, 02:14 PM

I am definitely not embarassed to order two entrees. On one recent cruise, I ordered three lobster tails, 3 shrimp cocktails, and melting cake with extra ice cream. I love to sit at tables with first-time cruisers and order multiple items. They look at me and ask, "Can you do that?" After that, they start ordering the same way. It's fun and allows you the luxury of trying something that you normally wouldn't think of ordering. I am not an advocate of waste and I eat everything that I order. Have fun and live a little.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:44 PM

We are going on the Grandeur too, We leave this Saturday...Cruise Fanatic, do you have a copy of the ship activities by any chance?

Thanks for all your advice, I will try it this time, I can't wait!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator

I normally don't order two of something, but I will on occasion and I don't think twice about it. Escargot is often a double for me. Sweetbreads and anything with mussels in the shell too.

Some lines won't offer a traditional surf and turf plate, but instead have the lobster as one entree and the prime rib as a separate entree. In those cases the wait staff anticipates people wanting both and will often offer to put a lobster tail on the prime rib entree plate. If not, then ask for both plates.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I have never felt a twinge of guilt or embarrassment about ordering two or more of, or extra anything. I don't make a habit of it, and like the good Dr., I eat everything I order. Sometimes my wife and I will order different entrees, and then a third entree of something else and split it. I always get two orders of rack of lamb, since they don't really serve a whole "rack" anymore.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:59 PM
you guys are making me hungry!!!

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Another example of small portions: lamb chops. I know lamb chops are not huge, but I've seen some on Celebrity where the serving was two smallish chops and each chop had just one or two bites on it. Four forkfuls of lamb is just enough to make me hungry, and also annoy me. In those instances I've asked for and received another plate of chops.

It reminds me of the story about my favorite cook, James Beard. He was invited to a dinner at some NYC society big-wigs home, and she served quail....one quail per person and no extra. James Beard could put down a half-dozen quail without taking a breath, and even for me I need at least two of them, with three being preferable. They say James gobbled down his lone quail in a few seconds and then looked helplessly on while the others tried to stretch their portions to cover some time.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:54 PM

I order an extra now and then and I don't think twice about it. sometimes me and my wife will split an extra something. I am with Dave on escargot, I usually order two. On our last cruise a teenage with an bottomless pit order at least 5 lobsters, yes he eat all of them.
as a whole if you are now wasting the food I see nothing wrong with it.

Closed Thread

Tags
bottomless, boys, cruise, dining, dinner, double, entree, entrees, hungry, lobster, order, ordering, pit, ship, teen