Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2005, 05:09 PM

Hi!

I am cruising next week (4/28) for the first time in about nine years.

I am nervous about the weather. It is just a short cruise from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas on Carnival, but especially now after that darn rogue wave, I can't stop thinking about it!

I am afraid if the weather is bad and the seas are rough, I will lose it and ruin the trip for my husband and myself.

Anybody know what the weather normally is like out there this time of year?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 PM

You can look forward to weather in the 70s and 80s, with a chance of showers in the Bahamas. Please don't worry about rogue waves or rough seas, the seas are always rougher leaving from New York, which is where the Dawn sails from. You are leaving from a much more temperate climate to begin with, you'll be fine. Also, please remember, the media LOVES drama, and will make the most of any passenger who is willing to make the story juicier than it really was.

Have a great time!-Darlene
Old 04-19-2005, 06:14 PM

I agree with Darlene. Any DRAMA the media can find they will play it up. I've always thought this time of year was a great time to cruise! Have a great time!
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 04-19-2005, 06:51 PM

It is a great time of the year to cruise. The north Atlantic has calmed down and the tropical activity has not yet started. I would be surprised if you even knew you were on a ship.

Look, I am a surfer. What the press calls "Rouge Killer Waves" are nothing more than a difficult ocean situation where the troughs and peaks of the swells are some distance apart. There isn't any such thing as a killer wave with the exception of the kind of tidal action that recently occurred in the Indian Ocean and that wouldn't affect a ship at sea.

A 70-foot wave is huge, but some surfers like to use jet skis to tow into waves of this size to surf them. Many times they eat it and get creamed by the wave, yet no one has died from it. If a sole individual can survive being nailed by 50, 60, and 70-foot surf, I suspect a cruise ship should fare better than an individual. Sure, it would be uncomfortable if it ever happened, but life threatening? I doubt it.

I have been on hundreds of cruises in unbelievable ocean situations. I was on the QE2 in 95 ft seas once. I loved it.

The scariest experience I ever had was on the QM2 during her inaugural when she needed to list something like 12 degrees to set her autopilot. I thought she was going to go over. Was I in danger? Of course not, folks that know what they are doing build these ships to very stringent specifications for the ocean.

Final story, and then I will get off my bandstand. Two years ago, I was flying into Buenos Aries. On final approach we hit an air pocket and free fell maybe 50 feet. While uncomfortable, the aircraft reset and made a wonderful landing. During the free fall, everyone was screaming and convinced that they were going to die. Once off the aircraft, folks were talking about the “near death” experience they had had. If it were to have happened in San Diego the media would have had a field day. I can see the headlines now “Stupendous Pilot Save ALL from Instant Death” news at eleven. “Sure Death Faces 348 Passengers on Flight From Dallas, Texas, Here What The Survivors Have to Say” tune in at 6pm for the early news!

You will have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 04-19-2005, 08:22 PM

I don't want to go out on a limb here, but sailing from Florida to the Bahamas (3 times now) I have encountered perhaps the "flattest" water of any cruise. Very smooth. Darlene is right, the seas are rougher in the north Atlantic, which is where the Dawn was, than farther south, just in general.

Relax and enjoy!
Old 04-20-2005, 06:05 AM

Hi Everybody,

Just wanted to say thanks so much for all of the very helpful replies, I appreciate it and feel much better!

I will be sure to write my own "cruise review" after our trip.

Thanks again!
Suzanne
Old 04-20-2005, 04:22 PM

Suzanne,
BON VOYAGE
Here's to a fab cruise for you.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:07 AM

Hi --

I just wanted to say thanks again to those that answered my original email regarding the weather in April.

My husband and I went on our cruise on 4/28 to the Bahamas on Carnival Fantasy and had THE BEST time!! Everything was perfect, and you all were right, the water was so calm and beautiful. I had nothing to worry about!

Now my problem is I just want to plan a new cruise...cruising can be addicting! We plan on taking our kids and mothers along next time!

Take care!
Suzanne

Closed Thread

Tags
april, bahama, bahamas, cruise, cruises, cruising, opinions, rogue, rough, temperature, water, waves, weather, year, york