Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 10:17 AM

Just amending a previous question. RC says we're to carry our passports at all times when we're OFF SHORE. Is that true. It sounds risky.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:36 AM

No more "risky" than carrying any other form of ID, which you really need should you have to identify yourself. Many stores here sell waterproof pouches that hang around your neck for passport, money, etc. But if you feel uncomfortable, then by all means put it in your cabin safe and carry your drivers license and some other form of "official" picture ID.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Another option that many of us use is to make a color copy of the passport, laminate it, and carry that with us when going ashore.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 PM

Speaking of passports, For our October cruise, my sister and her family are going with us. They don't have passports, (which is ok because they do not technically need them until 2007) and were only bringing the birth certs. My question is this- We are going to Beliz. I am getting confused with wether they need passports for there or not. At the moment I think I understand that as long as you are not flying in/out (i.e. you are a cruise passenger), you do not need them until next year

Anyone been there lately that could settle my question?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Jim,

Don't worry about Belize for the time period you noted.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 AM

Thanks Dave! That's what we were told, but I wanted to make sure. This is their first cruise and that would pretty much ruin it if they could get off the ship in Belize because we were told the wrong info.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-19-2006, 12:47 PM

This is from the Belize Tourist Board:

Quote:
Entry Requirements for Cruise Ship Passengers

With a growing cruise ship industry in Belize, the Immigration and Nationality Services of Belize have made efforts to make entry into Belize's port of call as simple as possible for passengers touring for one day. Your cruise line will guide you on any requirements for you to come ashore. If you have additional questions or wish to receive information directly from a tour provider, please fill in our contact form.

Helpful Tips

~Visitors are encouraged to stay in groups, carry a bottle of water, ample sunscreen, and the name of their cruise ship should they separate from their group.

~Taxis are reasonably priced and distinguishable by their green license plates. Drivers do not run a meter, rather they charge a flat rate--usually around $6-$8 BZD per stop.

~Tourism Police Officers on patrol wear navy blue pants with a khaki button up shirt and a navy blue hat.

~The Karl Huesner Memorial Hospital is located on Princess Margaret Drive in Belize City and can be reached via telephone at 501-223-1548.
All of the above and MORE can be found at the Belize Tourist Board website.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:33 PM
I have been on a Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruise. I don't ever remember them saying to always carry your passports off the ship. I do remember them saying to always carry your Cruise account cards off the ship. On RC it is call the "Sea Pass" card; on Carnival the "Sail and Sign" card. It is a plastic credit card sized card with your room number, dinning room number, and is used to open your room. It also is the only means of purchasing anything onboard. Anyway, when you boarded the cruiseship for the first time they took your photo. When you return to your ship in port, the security guard will ask for this card. He will then scan it and your photo will show up on his computer monitor. He will compare it to the face he sees infront of him and then let you onboard. (The security guard might also be a she).

Anyway, this Sea Pass card was the only thing RC said that you must keep with you at all times off the ship. Maybe things have changed? Maybe the governments in some ports require a passport to be handy?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Let me make a correction. When I was in Nassau, they told us to keep our Sea Pass card ANDan official photo ID with us at all times while off the ship. RC only required the Sea Pass card to get back onboard. However, the security at the dock required a picture ID and Sea Pass card to re-enter the dock area, to get to the cruise ship.

Also when I said:
[I}"It is a plastic credit card sized card with your room number, dinning room number, and is used to open your room."[/i]
I meant to say:
It is a plastic credit card sized card with your room number, dinning room TABLE number, and is used to open your room.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:48 PM
I forgot to say, the official photo ID I took off the ship with my Sea Pass card was my Florida Driver's License. It was accepted by the security there.

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, cruise, passcard