Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 05:58 PM

Dave, you can go to the county courthouse in your birth county, or call them and sign a release to get a new one. My mom had to do that. My info came from our travel agent via Holland America and the airlines.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator

I think "original" is being misused here. A replacement birth certificate issued by a state agency is a copy. But it has the full force of an original. The copy needs to have some sort of official seal. A copy with a notary stamp, for example, won't cut it.

And some states don't use raised seals. My birth certificate is a copy issued by New York. It has a seal that is an ink stamp. It was good enough to get a passport.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Greyson,

What you have is a certified copy!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:49 PM

Greyson,

I just want to vouch that Dave is 100% correct.

My BC got destroyed in a flood in 1977. I have had a plastic card like a credit card now for 29 years and 12 cruises..no problem

IslandCruz
Old 09-14-2006, 12:17 PM

Thanks Dave. We thought it was another original, but you are right. There can only be 1 original. To IslandCruz, I had never heard of the credit card thing before. I just know that after 1-1-08 you have to have a PASSPORT no matter what. They told us on the ship that the birth certs will not be good enough after the end of the year. In fact, they gave us paperwork to apply for the passport.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Greyson:
To IslandCruz, I had never heard of the credit card thing before.
Here in Ontario Canada we have always had a small laminated B/C the size of a credit card. We used it in entering some Counties until Passports were just a whole lot easier as I.D.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 09-14-2006, 02:46 PM

TO LHT28 - Thanks for the info. That is interesting. I have never seen one. Sure would be easier to keep than the big paper birth cert they give us down here. Im just sorry that some other country has ruined it for those of us in Canada and the US with making us have to have passports. I live in Minnesota and now to just go to Thunder Bay I have to have a pastport after the end of the year. Thanks for responding. Have a good one!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:10 PM

Mine is exactly the size of and is like a credit card not laminated paper.

It says Birth Registration Card, then Commonwealth Of Virginia - Department Of Health, then Bureau Of Vital Records And Health Statistics, Richmond, Virginia

It is sorta weird, and have had only one instance of a new person at pier check-in asking a supervisor, in which took a glance and said yes is a BC.

It has been easy and handy, but those days are winding down. Anyone want to go into the online Pass Port business?
Old 09-15-2006, 07:07 AM

Wow too cool. Thanks for the info IslandCruz. Online passport business would be profitable now for sure.

Closed Thread

Tags
accept, birth, card, carnival, certificate, credit, cruise, lost, misspelling, order, registration, replacement, seal, size, statistics, vital