Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 08:32 PM

Hi everybody.

Me and me mates - we're all baby boomers from Europe - play in a band, a real playing band (no computer allowed).

Some of us would like the band to be booked on a cruise ship, so I have a couple of questions to ask.
a)- what kind of music does a typical american cruiser like to listen to - or to dance to - in a lounge?
b)- what kind of music, and which songs, do bands booked on a cruise ships play?

Thanks, and - who knows? - see you later on a ship....
Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Hello fredo and welcome to cruise-chat;

your two questions are really just two ways of asking the same question; by that I mean the bands play the kind of music the typical cruiser likes--or they don't last very long.

The problem is trying to figure out what the typical cruiser likes. I worked as a musician on three Princess ships with four different bands and I can tell you from experience that versitility is the key. You have passengers of all age groups and tastes in music. You need to do lots of standards and show tunes, a little country, a little top 40 and some light rock;
but where most cruise ship bands miss the boat (sorry, bad pun) is latin; the middle-age and older passengers LOVE to dance to different styles of latin music--cha cha, mambo, tango, etc. etc.. Many are fresh from dance lessons taken just for the cruise and THEY WANT LATIN!

A few bands are hired to play a specific kind of music, like a steel drum band for the Lido deck, or a country trio for a Southwest theme restaurant. But most of the lounge bands are expected to be very versitile and able to do lots of requests; so being able to "fake" songs is very important.

Forget the hard rock, hip hop and R&B; that's spun by the D.J. in the Disco.

Of course if you have a lot of mates who can play horns and are excellent readers, you could back the shows.

Anyway, good luck to you. It's a lot of hard work but it's an experience you will always treasure.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Almost anything original in my view. One of the most difficult things to listen to is some unknowns trying to sing or play songs recorded by a well known artist. How can anyone measure up against expectations?

I will listen to almost anything original as long as it is in tune, is true to the musical style and the message can be easily followed.

I feel that there is a certain mediocrity expected of cruise ship performers to create a musical background to a general sense of fun on many levels and for the most part it works.
I don't care if a Jamaican band is singing "cents, five cents, ten cents, dolla." It is a familiar backdrop to what I like about a cruise.

Once in a while there are stand out performers that actually get your attention.

I am assuming that you want to do this to get a free cruise, which I think is fine. Don't expect a producer to be there to "find you." I hope you get the gig and enjoy the cruise.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:26 AM
I was wondring myself what types of music is in the clubs on cruise ships.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 AM

Just about anything you can imagine besides gospel. They have discos and karaoke with canned music, live jazz bands, string quartets and quint., Piano music in the Centrum and usually one of the bars. On the pool deck, the ever-present Island band, Reggae, and other tropical stuff. There is usually a lounge lizard somewhere singing stuff so familiar you don't want to listen.

All over the ship, there is plenty of music especially the shows in the theatre.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

I love to listen to the steel drum band on the Lido Deck. Karaoke is always good for a laugh or two. Then you get the cruisers who sing karaoke and they're better than the paid help that the ship employs.
A'ndrea

Closed Thread

Tags
age, band, cruise, cruises, deck, latin, lido, middle, music, play, played, review, ship, ships, songs