Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

How often do you look at photos from your old cruises? For us, it's sporadically...not nearly enough.

Today, I retrieved a photo album from a cruise we took in 1995 as we will soon be returning to the same ship. Just looking at those photos brought back so many enjoyable times. We had taken this cruise with my husband's parents, both of whom are now deceased, so it was very comforting to see them with huge smiles and obviously having a great time. My mother-in-law even entered the talent show! Our son was just a year-and-a-half old then, and we have a great photo of him studying the texture of the sand on Elbow Beach in Bermuda. I even have photos of food -- chocolate buffets, elaborate desserts at dinner...

I don't know why I don't look at my albums more often. They are right here, easily accessible on one of the bookcases in my "travel corner."

So -- how often do you look at your photos?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator

I have to admit that we haven't looked at the paper photos in ages, although we do have them split out in albums. I look at the digital photos all the time since it is so convenient.

But since this topic was posted I decided to look at the album from our first cruise on the old Westerdam, from Thanksgiving 1992. First thing that struck me (besides my having hair back then) was how much more formal everyone was dressed. Just about all the men in the formal night snapshots have on dinner jackets and tuxedoes. Very few suits. The ladies are in beautiful gowns and dresses.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 PM

Hi Lisa,

I almost never look at past photos. I don't even bother taking them most of the time anymore. I guess I'm just wired different. I know how much enjoyment many get from their photos and memorabilia. I just don't look back often whether through photos or even in other ways. I'm kinda built for here and now and what's coming next. I sometimes wish I had more of that sentimental side some seem to have. I also know my wife wishes I had it.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-19-2008, 06:16 PM

I don't look at the photos nearly enough, I really enjoy it though. Mine are not organized very well, so a dispute always erupts as to what ship and itinerary it was.

One common thing is, one sure does look different at 45 than 30!

Dwayne
Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 PM

We are almost all digital. I have even scanned most of our old photos and slides. Starting to think about converting our old super 8 into digital also.
We usually make a DVD Movie type thing to share with people who want to see our cruise. We try to keep it short 15 minutes or so. I do not want people to get "trapped" into watching a long slide show..remember the good old days.
We use a software program called Magix Photostory on DVD. When finished just show it on your TV or computer.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I do like Lisa: pull out the old photos of a ship that I'm going on again. But I save everything--from the brochure that got me interested in a cruise to the debarkation luggage tags.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:37 PM

I am the same way about keeping things. I have most all of my Carnival catalogs from the year of the sailing. I put the Capers from the cruise in them with my S&S statement. I have all of my S&S cards, except one. I keep the free postcards of the ship they give you as well.

Dwayne
Old 01-21-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gdjoslin:
We are almost all digital. I have even scanned most of our old photos and slides. Starting to think about converting our old super 8 into digital also.
We usually make a DVD Movie type thing to share with people who want to see our cruise. We try to keep it short 15 minutes or so. I do not want people to get "trapped" into watching a long slide show..remember the good old days.
We use a software program called Magix Photostory on DVD. When finished just show it on your TV or computer.
Gary, I used this software to make a DVD of our cruise pictures. It looks pretty nice for a novice with the titles, and how the pictures are presented etc. The problem is it only plays on the computer and won't work in the DVD players.

I have one (7 year old) Sony, and a newer (2 year old) cheap Magnavox. I was just wondering if the players were too old. Or maybe I used the wrong format DVD disc to burn it? I used the DVD-R. Thanks for any advice, this is all new to me.

Dwayne
Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 AM

I enjoy looking at photos of past cruises. It does not make me nostalgic in the least. It just makes me more anxious about the next one. Cruising, to me, is just like going to school. Every lesson (or cruise), I try to bring away at least one new thing that I have learned. IMHO, every subsequent cruise should be better than the one before. That is the reason for the addiction. As cruise ships and itineraries get better and better, so should the on-board experiences. Yes, I look at photos but they only give a fleeting glimpse of a moment in time. It's the mental table of contents that each picture sheds light on that gives me my best memories.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Dwayne
DVD-R is usually more compatible that the +R's. Your link took me to Roadrunner IP. What software do you use? Most software gives you a few burning options. Magix as one for TV.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, bikini, cruise, elbow, happen, photos, potos, smugmug