Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 07:46 PM

I have always booked our cruises through our private travel agent. I was just wondering if people post "group" cruises on this site to try and get a large group together to lower costs?
Not even sure if something like this is available, but thought I would give it a try to see if we can get better savings on our next cruise if we were to join a group that is cruising.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:04 PM

Ask your TA if they have access to a group rate for you. Sometimes they do, through various organizations their agency belongs to, though you may need to be somewhat flexible on your dates.

Sometimes the group rates aren't as attractive as some of the specials either.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 PM

Hi,
The way a group booking works is you get so many berths per number of cabins booked on the same sail date. If you book 15 or 16 cabins you get one cabin free except for port charges and taxes. Usually, this is shared with all the customers, or the person working to get the group gets the free berth/berths. Any travel agent can hold cabins and try to fill those cabins. My agent held cabins on a special sale price for the 3rd and 4th occupancies ($10 each). You can't get that special unless you book one of the cabins she is holding because the sale is over. Those will be gone in a few days when her time expires. I hope I didn't confuse you... just trying to help. If I wanted to get a group, I would call my agent and tell her. Then, I would work on my friends and their friends to persuade them to join the fun. If I could get 8 cabins booked, I would get about $400 off of my cabin price. 16 cabins and all I would have to do is pay the port charges and taxes. The savings would come back to you after the cruise was completed. Sounds easy, but it's not. Talk to your agent about it.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:02 PM

I own a papercrafting store, and my customers have been asking me to plan a cardmaking cruise for them, which I did -- CCL Victory in October.

We got the same rate that anyone booking individually would get. There are a couple of booking perks.

They held 20 cabins for me at the sale price, so if the price went up on the website or wherever before initial deposits were made, we were guaranteed to get the lower rate.

With 8 cabins booked, we get one cruise credit. Since we have interior, oceanview and balcony cabins being held, the cruise credit will depend on how many of each we actually sell. (They do not award the credit until final payment since people can back out.) If the group leader wants a balcony cabin, and the cruise credit is enough only for an oceanview, the leader pays the difference plus port charges, excursions, gratuities.

The initial deposit per person was considerably less than what we paid for our individual cruise. Also, the deposit was not due immediately, as it was when I booked our individual vacation cruise.

Those who have put down deposits are guaranteed the low rates. Carnival is still holding cabins for me, and should I have anyone else sign up for the cruise, they wlil get that sale price. However, at this point, should our particular cruise start to fill up, Carnival can now take the UNDEPOSITED cabins away as they need them.

Royal Caribbean considers 8 cabins a group, too, and does basically the same deal. I checked with them, too, before I booked with Carnival. I ended up choosing Carnival over Royal because I got a great deal, and considering the fact that I have to add in the class charges, I had to watch the pricing. Also, Carnival gave me great perks (that you wouldn't get booking individually) for each customer who actually cruises with our group.

I hope this wasn't too confusing and that it helps!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Closed Thread

Tags