Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 07:00 AM

Hi All:

Thinking about cruising Mexico this fall and I was wondering if anyone has any input on Sapphire Princess v. Oosterdam.
I have only cruised Celebrity in the past and I have been thoroughly impressed with Celebrity but I don't think they have a 7 day Mexican cruise.

Thanks.

L. Tucker
Old 08-29-2008, 07:33 AM

Hi L. Tucker, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Princess and HAL are pretty close competition. I prefer Princess, but that is a personal preference. I don't think you'll go wrong with either selection. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Hello L. Tucker, and welcome from me also;

I don't know if you are a past-passenger with Holland America; I am, and I just yesterday received their "Mariner" magazine, and in the back under "Best cruise values" is an offer for just what you are asking about: 7 day Mexican Riviera, r/t from San Diego, 11/1 and 11/8/08 on Oosterdam for the incredible price of $499 inside OR outside and $699 for a Verandah. Sailings on 11/15, 11/29, 12/6 and 12/13 are $499 inside, $549 outside and $799 Verandah.

I'm booked on Sapphire Princess 10/11, and If I wasn't already into the penalty phase I would cancel and rebook with HAL.

I usually go with Princess because I believe it is a great value for the money; but I must tell you, from the one HAL cruise on which I've been, I have to say they are a cut above.

If you are not elgible for the discount, I would say it comes down to, would you rather sail from San Pedro or San Diego.
Sapphire Princess is my favorite of Princess' large ships; I love everything about it. But prices being equal, I would have to go with Oosterdam.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Hi L. Tucker, and welcome to cruise-chat.com!

I don't think you can go wrong with either line. I cruised the Mexican Riviera on Diamond Princess a few years ago and had a great time. Although it was a large ship (as Sapphire Princess is), it very rarely felt crowded.

I've sailed a few times on HAL, but not on the class of ships to which Oosterdam belongs. Yet, as another fan of Celebrity, HAL was a good fit for me.

Which Celebrity ships have you been on, and what have you enjoyed about them? That may help us help you with your decision.

BTW - Rick, I also saw the Mariner Magazine and the cruises you mention. If only my husband wasn't a teacher...none of these dates work for us.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM

Thank you all for your replies.
I booked the Sapphire Princess leaving Nov.29. Oceanview cabin for $499 CDN or $625.17 with the govt fees and fuel sup. The Holland America price was in the $700's.
I'm using my Aeroplan miles to fly too so can't beat the overall price.

Can't wait to be waited on hand and food (Freudian slip-foot).
Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Congratulations, L. Tucker;

you made a good choice. Of course either ship would be wonderful, but I'm very fond of Sapphire Princess.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Rick

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, america, hal, holland, ms, mv, oosterdam, princess, saphhire, saphire, sapphine, sapphire, ship, versus, vs