Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2003, 12:26 PM

We are/were considering a cruise in May on the Zuiderdam or Grand Princess. The Zui is newer and we are an older couple who have sailed on the Ryndam previously. HAL had posted good prices on the Superior Ver. Suites, however when I called that category was no longer available, and was one of the big factors in considering that ship. The ports are not that important, as we were just looking to get away, see a newer ship. We're thinking the Grand Princess is too large, and may have many children. Any opinions, particularly of the Zuiderdam would be appreciated. Also, what deck on the Grand would have covered balconies?
Thanks
Dusty

Dusty
Old 04-16-2003, 12:26 PM

We are/were considering a cruise in May on the Zuiderdam or Grand Princess. The Zui is newer and we are an older couple who have sailed on the Ryndam previously. HAL had posted good prices on the Superior Ver. Suites, however when I called that category was no longer available, and was one of the big factors in considering that ship. The ports are not that important, as we were just looking to get away, see a newer ship. We're thinking the Grand Princess is too large, and may have many children. Any opinions, particularly of the Zuiderdam would be appreciated. Also, what deck on the Grand would have covered balconies?
Thanks
Dusty

Dusty
Old 04-16-2003, 04:42 PM

The Grand Princess is large, but doesn't feel large - the public spaces are small and many, especially the dining rooms, have an intimate feel to them. If you were comfortable with HAL's rather sedate decor, you might be reasonably comfortable with Grand Princess. From what I hear, Zuiderdam is a bit of a departure from typical HAL style (you might want to check out www.ruderhaus.de or some other websites that may have some pictures of her.)
Old 04-17-2003, 01:54 PM

Thank you. Just missed out on a "suite" deal, two days in a row on Zuiderdam. Getting a little frustrated with HAL's website. We waitlisted a category, but chances are HAL won't come through, or a much higher than they posted. I still may call Princess and see what they can do. Friends just sailed the Grand, and the husband enjoyed it, but haven't got the wife's perspective. Thanks for the link, also.

Dusty
Old 04-17-2003, 06:06 PM

Dusty, I would suggest you check with a reputable travel agent in your area that specializes in cruises. They have access to a lot of "deals" too, sometimes ones that don't show up on the websites, and can offer advice and information about cruise lines & ships that can help you make a good decision. In the long run, I think you'll be better off than "shopping" on your own for a cruise. Good luck - and happy cruising!
Karen

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, grand, hal, princess, reviews, western, zuiderdam