Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2007, 01:24 PM
I asked my Dr about sea sickness patch or pills. He suggested Dramamene(?)from th local drug store. He said that a patch would not work with other meds that I am taking. Does the OTC drug work for sea sickness? Dr. said it would but might make me sleepy.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Dramamine works for some but it is most effective when you start taking it before you need it. Once the sickness starts it can often be too late for dramamine to help. Are you prone to motion sickness?

You can usually get it for free at the purser's desk. And in bad cases the ship's medical staff can give a "magic" injection which seems to cure many people. I'm not sure what this drug is though, and it probably will cost you.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:14 PM

Dramamine worked for me, but didn't seem to help my daughter-in-law. So, as with any medication, you just never know!

We got into some rough seas and high winds one day. As soon as I felt the ship rocking more than usual, I took a Dramamine. One pill did it for me. I bought the non-drowsy kind and it didn't make me feel groggy at all.

On the bright side--you may not need any pills! But it doesn't hurt to be prepared!

Nadine
Old 03-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

An extremely cruise-savvy friend of mine told me the worst seas he has ever encountered were on an Alaskan cruise when the ship left the friendly confines of the inside passage. This is a man who has cruised all over the world. I was quite surprised when he told me this. Just something to beware of.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:51 PM

Yikes! I won't tell my friends that! But thanks for the warning. I don't know why, but in my mind I was thinking that this cruise would be smooth sailing compared to the Atlantic. Maybe ignorance is bliss!!

Nadine
Old 03-31-2007, 06:48 PM

Actually, I would welcome a fair amount of rocking. My last few cruises I could hardly even tell we were on a ship. I like being able to feel the motion of the ocean, especially at night. It rocks me to sleep. I guess I'm lucky I've never gotten seasick.

Nadine, time's getting near. Are you as excited as me?

Lanie
Old 03-31-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
An extremely cruise-savvy friend of mine told me the worst seas he has ever encountered were on an Alaskan cruise when the ship left the friendly confines of the inside passage. This is a man who has cruised all over the world. I was quite surprised when he told me this. Just something to beware of.
That is what my Brother-in-law tells me also. He was in the Coast Guard up there for years.
On the other hand the Inside Passage has to be some of the best sailing there is.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:22 AM

LanieB, yes I am very excited! It is so much different planning an Alaskan cruise. The clothes are so bulky, shoes are heavier than mere sandals, etc. Packing will be challenging, I think. Since we are doing the land tour first, I need to plan what goes into the tour suitcases and what goes into the cruise suitcases.

The anticipation for every cruise is just so exciting!

Nadine
Old 04-01-2007, 08:31 PM

I also take the non-drowsy formula. It has always worked for me. I can sure tell a difference, when I take the drowsy vs. non-drowsy formula. Good luck Lil Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 AM

Ok good rule of thumb for Dramamine that I have used while working on charter vessels.. take 1 pill the night BEFORE let it enter your bloodstream while sleeping then take one more the morning of the trip. This way your body adjusts to the medicine in your system as not to shock it then after a day with it your body will acclimate itself to the motion of the vessel. Being I never have been one a cruise ship before I can not say for sure BUT it worked for me on a 45 footer in heavy seas.

Closed Thread

Tags
dramamene, patch, sea, sickness, sleepy