Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 03:35 PM

Here are some weird questions:
We'll be taking our first cruise in 20 years!

We vaguely remember the last.

We are not much with cameras. As I recall, there was a roving photographer that was snapping photos left and right.

On our upcoming cruise, how do we obtain these photos? Last time you would visit an area of the ship that displays all the photos. You flip through them until you find the ones of you and decide whether or not if you want to buy it.

Is this still how it works?
How much do these photos cost?
Has anyone purchased one? If so, how was the quality?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:08 PM

Not much has changed in 20 years because it still works in pretty much the same way. The only differences are that with digtial cameras, they take a LOT more pictures because there is no film and many times they can tell instantly if someone in the shot blinked and they can re-take the pciture. Also, they have the ability to add boarders and such around any shot you want and or "fix" photos digitally.

Quality is pretty good. As with any picture, some are better than others but they try to do a good job. Cost? it depends on how you buy them and if you buy package deals. Normally the wife does the picture purchasing but I want to say they run $8 for a 5x7 to $15 for a 8x10 but don't quote me.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-07-2007, 04:17 PM

I paid $20-25 for the 8x10s. They do have deals too if you buy a specific package. Another thing I learned, but of course too late, was the ship we were on discounted the pictures by 50% on the last day.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM

To add what the others said.
A good digital point and shoot is cheap. You might want to pick one up. Put a large card in it and you should be set for the cruise.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Digital point-and-shoot cameras are everywhere these days, and there isn't much difference in between them as far as photo quality. I'd go more for price and for a vacation I'd go with one that uses disposable batteries and not rechargeable batteries. A few extra batteries are less of a packing hassle than a charger, plus you can probably find new batteries anywhere...even on small islands or out-of-the-way places.

I won't name them, but a "major consumer magazine" says there is really no difference between any of the point-and-shoot cameras as far as general image quality. And by that I mean snapshot quality.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Ol' Salty:

That sounds like the way they still run the photo gallery now a days. They have a significant amount of deckspace reserved for the photo gallery. They have 1000s of photos arranged by date, location, and character (if you were in a photo with a particular character: pirate, showgirl,dutch maid {while in St. Martin}, etc. etc). Just look for the photo with you in it.
  • If you like it, bring in to the register and buy it.
  • If not, keep it on the shelf and it will eventually be discarded.[/list]
    Two years ago, while on the Carnival Inspiration, I saw a very pretty Carnival dancer dressed-up as a showgirl. I couldn't resist. So I had my photo taken with her. They printed it to a 5x7 size. I purchased it for $7. They also had 8X10 size prints for other photos (especially for the formal night photos). I don't remember how much they sold them for, but somewhere around $20 sounds right. Of course, like I said, you have the option not to purchase them.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:58 PM
I forgot to mention, the quality was really good. Of course, they used professional equipment.

And yes, they had the roving photographers running around on the ship. Usually, during dinner. Those photographers would sometimes be accompanied by a character. They would also have the photographers stationed around the ship, especially someplaces in the atrium and promenade. And especially outside the porthole of the ship while it was in port. I seemed to notice (on my cruises) the photographers and photogallery crew members were all men from Eastern European countries. On one of my cruises, there was one crew member in the photogallery from Macedonia. I asked him if he was related to Alexander The Great. And he said "But of course!".
Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 PM

You can also buy the video of the cruise. I think it is call the Travel Log. It has alot of stock footage in it, but you might be in it as well. They do filming onboard and on excursions.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greyson:
I paid $20-25 for the 8x10s. They do have deals too if you buy a specific package. Another thing I learned, but of course too late, was the ship we were on discounted the pictures by 50% on the last day.
I have been on lots of cruises - its fun to have the pictures taken because they have so many backgrounds. Seems the 8x10's are $20. I have never seen any reduced at the last minute.
I would suggest not buying the first you see, but don't wait until the end of cruise either. Sometimes they do get rid of some of the first pictures before cruise is over.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 AM

Let them take your picture when ever they ask. There is no charge for the picture to be taken. This is an excellent way to get a formal picture taken in your finest clothes. There will be many different artificial backgrounds (screens) used when on board. Also, there are embarkation pictures, life jackets, with a mascot at each port (eg pirate at St Thomas), formal dining room, etc.
Don't buy until the second last night so you can choose the best pictures.

I have observed that HAL does not get rid of them before the last night but there is a place to put the pictures that you have no intention of buying (such as the pictures that make you look fat/red faced/mean/ugly. Remember, these photos are on display for all to see.

Best picture I ever saw?...A middle aged fit couple. She obviously had paid a lot of money for some big assets plus was a skimpy dresser. The look of glee on the mans face in each photo was priceless.

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, conquest, dates, sail