Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 09:52 AM

Well guys I know you like to travel and all but you have to look at from their point of veiw if they let a few people on with things that they don't let others onboard with becuz of their origin. then that would be descrimination (you know we could never do that)so if they do let everyone bring what ever they want aboard then there would be about 10 planes down in the atlantic so you konw they are doing it for the better. Look at it from Homeland security, FAA, and the workers if they let something slip by and 10 planes explode would you want that blood on your hands i think not.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Administrator

I don't wish to start a big debate on security procedures, but my view is that TSA is stuck on being one-dimensional with their reactions. Richard Reid tries to light his shoe and the reaction is "everyone take your shoes off!" The nail clippers were another thing. I heard they actually let an off-duty federal agent board with his pistol but insisted he couldn't carry his nail clippers.

Now we see another knee jerk response with the "no liquids or gels" policy.

One wonders what will happen when a terrorist figures out how to get ingredient A of an explosive inside his body (enema, etc.) and then initiate the detonation by drinking ingredient B (coffee, tea, or milk?).

Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 AM

Dave, I definitely agree with you. This does appear to be somewhat of an overreaction. One can only hope that if a terrorist does decide to put one component of the explosives in his body, lets hope he does a "dry run" to see if it works! Also, I read that one of explosive ingredients the UK authories found was a "popular sports" drink. Gatorade maybe?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:31 AM

Although one can understand the reasons why these materials are cause for concern I also see another problem.... I wonder how many of those who were forced to check in Cell Phones, Laptops and cameras actually got them on the other side again....I bet those baggage thieves are having a ball right now. oh and guess what try claiming that from your travel insurance...I bet the most will be sent a copy of the fine print saying valuables in checked luggage are not covered.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Administrator

The baggage thieves are also having a big party with all the booze that was checked as baggage too!

Old 08-11-2006, 11:27 AM

Oh jeeezz there you go Dave.. letting that genie of of the bottle again (pun intended)
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-11-2006, 01:15 PM

I can see it now.
They will have all of us marching into a changing room, having us box all of our clothes, then walking single file (while being closely scrutinized of course) to the next area where we would be given togas and sandals to wear on our flight. With luck, our boxes of clothing would be handed back to us at our destination. Except once in a while "Oh, we're sooooo sorry. Due to excess weight, your clothes were diverted to an alternate airport. Please fill out these forms and we will attempt to get them to you within twenty-four hours."

Old 08-11-2006, 05:14 PM

I was thinking today about all the alcohol previously in the overheads on the way home from the Caribbean, now in the cargo hold.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

I just got an email from United, one of several carriers I will be using in the next few days. One of the updates read, "United has also waived its excess baggage fee for customers who elect to check their carry-on baggage."
Old 08-11-2006, 07:32 PM

I've had minor things disappear from my luggage over the years & their now asking me to put my laptop & brand new digital camera in checked luggage ! Besides the fact I won't be able to bring home more than 1 or 2 bottles of liquor in my suit case. The airlines are going to take a big hit on this round as many people will opt to drive to the port.

Closed Thread