Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 01:52 PM

Just a freindly note to all of you with upcoming cruises. The new air travel security proceedures implemented are going to cause headaches at the airport. From what I understand, they are not letting anything electronic (including car key fobs) get carried on. This of course is causing much grief as passengers are adjusting to this new restrictions. I would plan on being at the airport hours before you departure so you don't risk missing your flight.

This also brings interesting new luggage packing issues into mind. I would have never dreamed of checking my laptop/ video cameras etc .. now (for at least the forseeable future) those will need to be packeted to prevent breakage...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-10-2006, 02:01 PM

Jim et al,
Please note that as of right now, the UK is the only place these restrictions are in place for "electronic gadgets" like your key fob, mobile phone and laptop. But, it's probably just around the corner for us. I was wondering who would start this thread. Here is something that was forwarded to me this morning:

Subject: Terror Threat Averted in U.K.
Importance: High

This email is being transmitted to Owners, Managers, Agents, Outside Agents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terror Threat Averted in U.K.

British authorities have uncovered a plot to destroy multiple planes flying from the United Kingdom to the United States and have made arrests. The Department of Homeland Security has increased security measures at all U.S. airports in coordination with security precautions currently underway in the United Kingdom. Although, there is no indication of plotting within the United States, the Department of Homeland Security has raised the nation's threat level to Severe or Red, for commercial flights originating in the United Kingdom.

Some of the steps currently being taken in the United Kingdom are:
· European carriers canceled flights Thursday to Britain, where airports were experiencing massive delays.
· Passengers faced delays as tighter security was hastily enforced at Britain's airports and additional measures were put in place for all flights, and British Airways said some flights were likely to be canceled.
· Passengers would not be allowed to carry any hand baggage on board any aircraft departing from any airport in the U.K.
· Laptop computers, mobile phones, iPods, and remote controls were among the items banned from being carried on board. Prescription medicines were permitted; as were eyeglasses but not their cases. Contact lenses could be taken aboard in their cases, but bottles of solution were banned.

Click on this link for more information on the restrictions in place: This is clearly a critical time for our customers who may be involved in this incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778615.stm

Old 08-10-2006, 02:06 PM

Since they're confiscating all liquids, what do we do for mouthwash, toothpaste, sunscreen, lip balm, perfume, deodorant, etc.? I'm really thinking about cancelling our flights and driving down. What a hassle.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:13 PM

UPDATE: Besides the below restrictions, domestic AND international check-in is now 3 hours.
---------------------------------------------
Subject: United Airlines Security Information

Attached is a Travel Tips document for customer use and updated Baggage Restriction documents, providing further clarification on the types of items that may not be carried on board any aircraft as well as updated information regarding security.

Key Messages To Customers

The safety and security of our customers and employees is our top priority.
We’re cooperating fully with the Department of Homeland Security and Transportation Security Administration to implement new security procedures on both international and domestic flights. These procedures will remain in place as circumstances warrant.
We understand that this is a difficult situation. There will likely be delays and inconveniences for everyone traveling, but we will continue to do what we can to make the travel experience as smooth as possible.
In light of these directives, passengers may experience delays at security checkpoints. Departing flights may also experience delays as a result.
Please arrive three hours prior to scheduled departure time for both domestic and international flights.
Customers traveling from the U.K. to the U.S. should expect even more extensive screening processes.
We appreciate the patience and understanding of our customers.
------------------------------------------------
Baggage Restrictions
All Itineraries that DO NOT include travel to/from the United Kingdom
August 10, 2006

Effective immediately, by order of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Transportation Security Administration (TSA)

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND CAN BE CARRIED ON THE AIRCRAFT, although they can be transported in checked baggage. Items that fall within this category include:

· All beverages of any type in any size container, including bottled water.
· Shampoo
· Suntan lotion
· Creams
· Toothpaste
· Hair gel
· Other items of similar consistency

Passengers MAY HAVE:

· Baby formula, breast milk or juice if a small child is traveling
· Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket
· Insulin and essential other non-prescription medicine

Beverages purchased in the sterile area MUST be consumed before boarding the aircraft.
Baggage Restrictions
All itineraries that INCLUDE travel to/from the United Kingdom
August 10, 2006

Effective immediately, by order of the Department for Transport:

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND CAN BE CARRIED ON THE AIRCRAFT, although they can be transported in checked baggage. Items that fall within this category include:

· All beverages of any type in any size container, including bottled water.
· Shampoo
· Suntan lotion
· Creams
· Toothpaste
· Hair gel
· Other items of similar consistency

CARRY ON BAGGAGE WILL BE PROHIBITED AND MUST BE CHECKED EXCEPT FOR THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WHICH MUST BE PLACED IN A SINGLE (ideally transparent) PLASTIC CARRIER BAG.

· Nothing may be carried in pockets.

· Pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (Not Handbags)).

· Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets).

· Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (for example diabetic kit) except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

· Spectacles and sunglasses without cases.

· Contact lens holders without bottles of solutions.

· For those traveling with an infant, baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passengers) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).

· Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed.

· Keys, but no electrical key FOBS.

Northwest just issued the same information...

Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM

Wow.. I'd love to be standing there listening to that conversation- "Just how many "female sanitary items" do you need for this journey mame?"

This is nuts. I smell airfares dropping again... people are going to avoid the hassle if they can possibly do so. 3 Hours to get through security? 3 hours at the airport 1/2 hour to get to the airport, 2 hours on the plane and anoth 1 hour to get you luggage and get out of the airport and another half to get to your final destination. That's 7 hours of travel time. I can drive to a lot of places in 7 hours. For about half the price..
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

Old 08-10-2006, 03:12 PM

Another thought... If we have to put all the goodies we take onboard in our carry-on's into our check-in luggage, are we going to be allowed three pieces of luggage? Or, will the weight limit exceed the 50 pounds each that we're allowed now? DAM THOSE TERRORIST!!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator

This is a prime example of why people need to get to their cruise at least the day before it leaves. Flying on the embarkation day is, frankly, being stupid. One look at the lines at security at every airport today should be convincing enough.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Sonny, some of the airlines are temporarily permitting an extra piece of checked luggage. I'm flying for business on Monday, and noticed this yesterday when I checked the updated requirements. As far as I can tell, the 50 lb. limit is not being waived.

I already have my shopping list handy for when I reach my destination. I'll be buying small bottles of contact lens solution, conditioner, mascara, and moisterizer. Then, I'll toss them before I leave. That is... if we are still allowed a carry-on on domestic flights. I just heard on the news this morning that British Airways has extended its "no carry-on" policy to flights both into and out of the U.S.

Yes, Dave -- indeed another example of why to fly in early. Also, as demonstrated yesterday, new rules could go into effect with little notice for just about any reason, resulting in significant and unexpected delays.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 AM

It's not that I mind checking my luggage. However, I've been on 2 cruises where my luggage had gone elsewhere. One left out of Miami, my luggage went somewhere else and didn't catch up to me until San Juan. One left out of San Juan and my luggage didn't make it until St. Thomas, which was only the next day..but. You have no toiletries, no undies, no toothbrush, etc. The cruise lines were nice enough to give me credit in their stores, but it would really mess things up without my snorkeling gear in the Caribbean. Oh well, guess there's not much we can do about it. Sure wish this jihad thing would jihad the heck out of here!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:54 AM

I agree Penny, the last 2 cruises we flew to, we were thankful we did the day early thing. Both time luggage was "lost" and didn't arrive until we were on the ship. We always pack a carry on with a change of clothes and our nessecities. This is going to put a wrench in those precautions. I can;t see the airlines putting a ban on carry on's for any long period of time though as the luggage compartment is not going to be able to handle the extra bags. Everyone seems to bring on at least one carry on (some get away with 2). So if all of those have to be checked, that's an extra 150 to 200 bags on a typical "full" flight. Not to mention the burden on the luggage handlers having to deal with the extra bags that are now being forced into checked bags.

What a pain in the back side.

Closed Thread