Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 AM

With all the "clutter" of travel insurance available, can anyone recommend one insurance company over another? We just want to protect ourselves should we get stormed in and can't leave our airport (cruising in February) to being able to cancel if one of the kids gets sick.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Which companies are offering policies to Canadian citizens? I usually recommend people compare the different policies at insuremytrip.com but they say they are working with the provincial insurance councils to be allowed to do business in Canada. That website sells policies from many insurers and allows a lined up comparison. Too bad you can't use it, but perhaps if you go to their site and go through it like you were a U.S. citizen you will get some better ideas.

I typically get policies from Travelex, CSA, or Travel Insured. Most often Travelex. However for my next cruise I went with a new one (to me) - TruTravel. They had a good list of coverages and a good price. Plus an A+ financial rating.

Whatever you get, don't forget to consider medical evacuation coverage and trip interruption coverage.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
You can try insuremytrip.ca
also RBC, PCfinacial & TD off travel insurance just check the underwriter & the fine print
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 05-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Also, if you plan on buying the cancel for any reason policy, which I recommend...be sure to get it at deposit or 14 days after,,,,it covers everything and no hassle having to read fine print on whats excluded,,,worth the extra money for me....esp. with the hassle some companies are giving over volcano cancellations,,,,for instance, I bought coverage for terrorism, before Egypt trip,,,then state dept.issued travel warning, but our insurance would NOT PAY to cancel,,,said THEY determined terrorism risk,..and now, can t get coverage for volcano probs.since "known event"...so really check exactly what ins.WILL cover....
Old 05-04-2010, 01:52 PM

Of you're adding a "cancel for any reason" rider, be sure to understand the terms. Some will pay you just 50-75% of your non-refundable costs, depending on the underlying policy. Of course it's better than nothing, but will be a surprise if you're expecting to get all of your money back.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:50 PM

Hi Cruising,
I always buy RBC (cancellation and interuption)and have had to use it 2 times. One time, we had to use the interuption clause because a snow storm in Toronto delayed our arrival there and resulted in our missing the connection so we missed the ship's departure. We had to make our way to Grand Cayman and get on the ship there, RBC paid all expenses that were not covered by the airline.
The second time we used it was for cancellation because I broke my leg, required surgery and was in a wheel chair. We got a full refund. You do need to read the details but death, illness, accidents of family members are valid reasons to cancel. Obviously, I never travel without it now although I used to. Travelling in February from Canada, it's a must.
Have a great time,
B
Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 AM

Whats with the "within 14 days of purchasing cruise" for signing up for insurance?

Do you need to predetermine the total cost of all the trip inclusions such as hotels, non refundable air, ect?

peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM

You want to include all components of your trip. The 14 days is to cover pre-existing medical conditions.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:34 PM

The people here total a whole lot of cruises. we have never taken out the cruise insurance. But I am wondering if everyone else takes it out and have they ever had to use it?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator

We always purchase travel insurance. Although we've never had to file a claim, my parents have had to do this when a medical issue arose. (All is well, thankfully.) Their insurance was set up in a way that covered their traveling companions, also. This is another reason I advocate working with a professional agent.

We were fortunate on our last cruise that we didn't need to use our insurance. Our ship left from Barcelona soon after the volcanic eruption that shut down much of air traffic in Western Europe for several days. Our flights were not affected -- yet, had they been, we would have been covered. The peace of mind alone was worth the cost.

Closed Thread

Tags
12, buy, cancel, carnival, comparison, cruise, insurance, people, reason, reasons, recommend, review, reviews, ship, travelex, trip, trutravel