Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 PM

Hi, I'm MJ. Ever since I was a little girl I've dreamed of an Alaskan cruise, I am single, and quickly come up to being 25, without having of yet done anything on my life goals that I had planned to have achieved by that age. The cruise is the one that I am GOING to make come true, since it is the one I can make happen on my own, with little help form others. I am hoping to go in September of 2009 since that is when I turn 25, however I really donít have any hard plans yet.

You see Iím not really sure where to start. Thatís always been one of my big problems in life. I have big dreams and ideas, but itís starting them where I always get lost. I need a little push in the right way to get the ball rolling, or should I say ship sailing in this case. Iíve checked out a few places on line, however sadly I had to spent all the money I had saved up to live over the past year, luckily I have recently started a new job, for a company Iíve worked for in the past, so thatís not going to be a problem any more (fingers crossed for luck.) Sorry about the long into, to my simple questions that have most like been asked a hundred times, already, so I wonít keep your reading much longer here they are.

Is a cruise safe for a single women on her own, or should I have a friend go with me?

What is the best way to book Online, or thought a Travel Agent?

What if I book a trip, but something comes up and I can not go what happens then?

Is a balcony view much better than a sea view?

How do I know how much pocket money to bring?

How do I know if it includes meals, or if they cost more?

What do I need to bring with me, besides clothing, and H.B.A.ís (soap, shampooÖextra )?

When is it to LATE or early to book a trip?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Is a cruise safe for a single women on her own, or should I have a friend go with me?
Welcome to Cruise Chat!! Cruising is perfectly safe as a solo. You can go by yourself but you will have to pay a single supplement that makes the cruise more expensive. Cruising is great with a friend or family member but some prefer to do it solo.

What is the best way to book Online, or thought a Travel Agent?
It's easy to book online but if you have a dedicated TA they can help you navigate a lot of the paperwork and additional travel issues.. i.e. flights, pre- or post-cruise hotels, etc. etc. Travel Agents are a valuable resource that I encourage all travellers to use.

What if I book a trip, but something comes up and I can not go what happens then?
That is what trip insurance is for. Your travel agent can assist you with that as well and it is not as expensive as you would think. The peace of mind it offers is priceless.

Is a balcony view much better than a sea view?
A balcony room is a great way to experience an Alaskan cruise. There are so many beautiful vistas to behold. They are more expensive but I recommend it for your first cruise. Be careful, balconies can become addictive. There is nothing wrong with oceanview or inside for that matter. I am just offering my opinion on your first Alaskan cruise.

How do I know how much pocket money to bring?
If you don't bring enough money, you will always be able to use an ATM card to withdraw more. It has a lot to do with your tipping practices and port spending. Your onboard expenses will be put on a ship-based charge account. You will be issued a card where all of your onboard purchases will be charged.

How do I know if it includes meals, or if they cost more?
The price of the cruise will include meals unless you choose to eat at one of the specialty restaurants or supper clubs that some cruise lines offer. Beverages other than coffee, tea, some juices, and water are also charged a premium.

What do I need to bring with me, besides clothing, and H.B.A.ís (soap, shampooÖextra )?
Bring all necessary toiletries and medicines but if you forget something, it will either be given to you complimentary or it will be available for purchase on the ship. Do not bring an iron!

When is it to LATE or early to book a trip?
It is never too early to book a trip... Sometimes you can wait too late and the category of room you want will be sold out. Last minute cruising can be cheaper at times but it can also be an effort in futility to book a room.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:05 AM

Only thing I'll add to DrL's post is that by September, cruises to Alaska start to taper off. (Its the end of the "season". DO NOT WAIT until your birthday to book if you want to go this September. You can still book now if you will be 25 by cruise date. Just let them know when booking that this is the case.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise