Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2002, 09:18 AM

I was told by someone that she knew somebody that booked a cruise through a travel agent then got the same exact thing online for half the price. I would like to go through an agent, but after hearing this Im not so sure.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:18 AM

I was told by someone that she knew somebody that booked a cruise through a travel agent then got the same exact thing online for half the price. I would like to go through an agent, but after hearing this Im not so sure.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:34 AM

Hi!
Look under Royal Caribbean with the Expedia topic. There's numerous posts, and most, if not all are not favorable. From my own experience, we've taken 8 cruises, and have another 2 booked, all with a travel agent. If you have a problem, they are always there to help. Let me know if you get into the RCL site OK. Will give you a really good view of the many problems that you can encounter. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2002, 02:58 PM

I have good friends who went the internet route (I think they used Travelocity) and got burned royally. They never received their cruise stuff until a month AFTER the cruise was over. Fortunately they lived in Ft. Lauderdale so they hadn't booked any air. After several unanswered e-mails, and attempts to physically speak to an actual human being, the day before the cruise, they were told to just show up at the port and there would be no problem - Yeah right! Who knows what would have happened if they had actually had to fly to the port. When they did get to the port without any documentation - they did get onboard, but were placed in an inside cabin (They know they paid for outside) - They and I will always use a TA when booking a cruise.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:06 AM

DanieH,
I am a travel agent and I can tell you that I sometimes loose clients over a minimal amount of money from internet agencies and 90% of the time they come back. For example: I just had a client who went with an online agency and had several problems through the process and found that there was no one to talk to. She had done everything over the internet and even talked to a person on the phone once before booking. After that, she could never get a hold of that particular person again and others would put her on hold for long periods of time. When she arrived at the ship she didn't get the room cat. that she thought she paid for, her luggage never arrived and they had set sail and her dining was different then she had requested (time and table size). She tried contacting the agency via cell phone as they were leaving port with no luck. She then called me and I was able to give her the service that she needed and get everyng worked out from my end. She later told me that the service I could give her meant much more to her then saving sometimes as little as $25. This is just one of many stories.
Please be careful...this is your vacation! You want it to be wonderful and sometimes that means your TA has to go to bat for you! You need to be confident that it will be smooth sailing!!!

Lisa
Carnival Sensation 2000
Carnival Sensation 2001
RCL Explorer of the seas 2001
Carnival Triumph 2002
RCL Explorer of the Seas 2001
Carnival Triumph 2002
RCL Voyager of the Seas 2002
Old 09-24-2002, 09:31 AM

Thanks! When the time comes I will definatly go w/ a TA. Its not worth saving $ for the aggravation.
Old 09-28-2002, 04:45 PM

Our second cruise upcoming in March and many other tour type trips.....

We found going directly to the cruise line itself (I think better than a travel online company as far as secure feeling) and a discount type travel agent we have used on MANY trips had the exact same prices! We've been checking airlines against travel agent and we see a small difference (TA $10 more pp) but for the worry and hassle? I'd go with someone who will take care of you.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:14 PM

Most, if not all travel agents tack on an additional fee since the airlines have cut back/cut out commissions. I always do my own airline reservations on line, and knock on wood, never had a problem. Love the options of being able to compare and doing exactly what we want to do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Closed Thread

Tags
internet