Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

Although it's not a relaxing vacation, is anybody as enthralled with the Deadliest Catch (Discovery Channel) as I am. Now der are sum cruisers!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:05 AM

Is that the one with the crazy crabbers? There is no way I'd go out on those tiny little boats in seas like that. Why can't they crab when the weather is better? I think they're out of their ever lovin' minds.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

Yes, they are the Alaskan King and Ofelio Crab boats, and I'm not sure the Bering Sea ever has good weather. A new season starts on 4/3...absolutely fascinating program. It should give anyone who eats King Crab an appreciation for the danger these folks face in bringing us this delicacy from the sea.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:57 AM

cant wait for the next season Zig Is my Fav captian.... I never miss a show... totaly toasty and warm in my room while those guys are freezing ,,,,, just love that show...was bored watching the Lobster one...
Old 03-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Banned

I was recently telling several customers at the winery about a Pinot Noir that goes really well with salmon. Part of my discussion includes the fact that it MUST BE wild salmon, not Sam's Club farmed, or anybody elses farmed salmon. I don't have many standards, but that is one of them. One of the customers popped up and indicated how much he appreciated me saying that about the wild salmon...he was a commercial fisherman in Alaska for 15 years. We got to talking about Deadliest Catch, and he stated there is nothing fake about that show. I like the skipper and crew of the Cornelia Marie...Sig Hanson and his crew are #2 in my book, for what it's worth (I know, not much).

So, as you're out there whale watching and fishing on your vacation, think about those folks up in the Bering Sea facing horrible and dangerous conditions, just so we can enjoy those delicacies from the sea!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:35 PM

I am with you GC on the wild salmon. There is simply no comparison in the flavor to the farm-raised, grain-fed.

I think I would raise a glass of Stoly' to those crazy crabbers!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

Not only are they grain-fed, they're injected with a pink dye for coloring. I'll take a little carmel coloring in my soda, but I refuse to have the coloring added to my fish.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 AM

Love the Deadliest Catch. I actually watch the reruns every time I can. New season is set for 4/3 and the Tivo is too Have to say if I was going to be a greenhorn it would have to be with Sig and brothers on the Northwestern only from the standpoint of the size of the vessel and the high crab counts. If I wanted to be on "family boat" would have to be on the Maverick. They laugh in the face of superstion by haveing a lady on board.

I have been an avid offshore fisherman for many years now (have logged 150 trips to the Hudson Canyon, 12 of which was in my own boat)and must say I have a deep sympathy for those boys up there. To think they go out in weather that would keep most vessels in port is amazing and to work on an open deck in those conditions is almost insane.

Folks in congress thought that having a quota system would stop these practices but from what the previews for the new season show it seems it is not the case. You may or maynot know that the Alaskan crab industry went from open season marathons to a quota system where each vessel is alotted a certain catch limit and they can fish for a few months till they reach it now.

Cant wait!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Banned

Me, too, on the can't wait sentiment. I was home last week with my 11 year old son who had a nasty, nasty case of strep throat--we watched reruns of Deadliest Catch on three of the days he was home. One of my favorite episodes was when Sig's boat pulled the prank on the Cornelia Marie and Cornelia Marie's EPIC "retaliation." Great show. I will have to wait until we return from the Eastern Caribbean to start watching, though. 13 more wake ups until we hit the deck running!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 AM

Yea that was a great episode. At least they know how to have a little fun

13 more days.. NICE cant wait for mine Exactly 1month 1day 2hrs 30min

Closed Thread

Tags
alaskan, catch, crab, crabs, cruise, deadliest, dittybopper, king, ofelio, powered, season, vbulletin