Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 12:40 AM

This one is going to sound a little strange to start with, but I want you to think about things that annoys you about cruising.
We all hear how great the experience is, but what aspects of the ships and the cruise lines what you like to change, for the better.
Now you mustn’t get me wrong on this one, I love cruising and I’m not here to whine and moan, but with everything in life there is always ways of making it better.
Can anyone think out of the box just to make that perfect cruise seem better?

Thanks
Billy
Old 06-07-2005, 03:45 AM

Billy,

a great and very interesting topic IMHO.

Personally, I don't like repetitive announcements for bingo, art auctions and other "revenue-creating stuff".

Also, what I don't like is music being played in the hallways (and on some ships even on the open decks). Don't get me wrong, I love many kinds of music, but I would like to choose where and when to listen to music.

I also don't really like sing-alongs and parades in the dining room.

It should be interesting to learn what other cruisers have to say.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 06-07-2005, 04:15 AM

I have to agree, what Raoul said. On the Jewel they played Jassmusic the hole day in the hallways and also music, you dont want to hear, when you are eating in the Windjammer.

Also terrible: announcements in 5 different languages, only a short announcement from the captain about special things during the day, weather information, course .... is okay.

Piano player in the dining room, playing the same songs, every evening.

Or piano players in the bars and his audience, making jokes about people passing by.

But I know, people from other countrys like Britain love sing-alongs, sorry I dont.

And not every time you have the chance to choose the place you like, with the music you prefer. And sometimes, its possible to talk to the cruise director and he or she can change the music or other enervating things.

Marita

Old 06-07-2005, 05:54 AM

Being pestered to buy stuff would be my number one complaint. Once I was sitting by the pool with a drink in my hand deep in conversation when a pool waiter interrupted the conversation to ask if I wanted a drink.

Lifeboat drills.

Pool side games.

Obnoxious passengers.

Sick passengers coughing in the buffet line, shaking your hand and generally doing everything possible to make everyone else sick.

These would be the most important to me.

Tom
Old 06-07-2005, 06:40 AM

Hello everybody,

here's more:

- tipping the way it is handled by many cruise lines. Tips should be a reward for better-than-average service, not a way of paying the crew's wages (which rather should be included in the cruise fare).
- cruise staff who are just a bit too funny
- staff pushing you to give good... I'm sorry... "excellent" ratings in the cruise rating cards
- the sometimes ridiculously high prices for drinks etc. (many German cruise lines have much more reasonable onboard costs, by the way)

Raoul Fiebig

Old 06-07-2005, 08:20 AM

OMG I've opened a can of worms here and they're off and running.

Couldn't agree more with the comments so far.

I'd have to say the price of drink is a bit on the high side.
Not allowing you to bring your own drink on certain lines too.

Here's one that will freak you out. The number of ports the cruise ships visit. Lets face it some of these ships are the size of a small village. I'd love to be able to have more sea days to apperciate the on board facilities and the relaxed atmosphear you get from being in the open water.

Tipping is another one that makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm not sure how the people from the USA feel as it seems to be the done thing over there.

Billy

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Banned

Donīt get me wrong, but we would prefer some kind of proper dress code for breakfast.
We canīt stand seeing guys with torn muscle shirts or rip shirts (esp. guys with an uncomfortable body) and bathing trunks at breakfast.
We would like to see less of them, maybe itīs our fault and we should avoid cruises in warm regions.
Peter
Old 06-07-2005, 11:50 AM

Unenforced rules.
Kids in the adults only areas such as pools and hot tubs. If I go on vacation and leave my kids at home with their grandparents, I do not want to babysit somebody elses kids while they run wild.

Also If I am required to dress up for dinner (something I like to do bye the way) I do not want to see people with ripped jeans and tank top at dinner.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:51 AM

Hi

-Agree with the 'too much flesh' at breakfast comment.
-also, on the drink price theme, the 15% 'service charge' added to the cost of a drink, when they could put this in the cost to start with.
-vacuum flush toilets, and when the cabin stewards have to test them all at the same time, or you walk down the corridor and can hear them going off in peoples bathrooms!
-lovely lady playing live harp music in dining room, but probably most inappropriate place on ship as she can't be heard by man or beast!
-Ladies wearing fur on formal ights, that is sooo not a good look these days.

i'm sure there may be more, just give it time....

Rosey
Old 06-07-2005, 12:46 PM

I agree with peter and Jokeral A policy is a policy. One knows it when signing on for the trip. If they have a problem with it they shouldn't go, or find another line. Since it seems some have forgotten common courtesy the cruise line should take a stand. But then as far as kid in adult areas, I have no problem telling them and their parents the rules. Maybe I'm turning into a grumpy old man (not that old, just that grumpy) but I paid as much as they did, maybe more.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, requst, strange