Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 10:12 AM

We are going on our first cruise in March and was wondering what the general thoughts are on guarding against sea sickness if you don't know how you will react. We are on Explorer of the seas and our room is mid ship. Some say patches , someone said there is now shots. I know nothing of these so any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:12 AM

We are going on our first cruise in March and was wondering what the general thoughts are on guarding against sea sickness if you don't know how you will react. We are on Explorer of the seas and our room is mid ship. Some say patches , someone said there is now shots. I know nothing of these so any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:40 AM

I always go to the front desk to get their pills. But you have to take them as early as possible.
They are good for my, not getting tired, not getting dizzy. But it can be different by someone else.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:25 AM

Raydon, chances are, on a ship as big as Explorer, you won't feel anything bothersome. As a precaution, you could take along ginger tablets or candied ginger. Both are good for settling the stomach (Mom was right in giving us ginger ale for a stomach ache!) if you get queasy.

You can buy Draminine or Bonine over the counter, but be aware that they tend to make some people very sleepy. Both come in "non-drowsy" formulations, but I think that means they have less of the medication in them.

Some swear by eating a green apple if you get queasy, something you can get onboard. Also, as mentioned, you can get sea-sickness pills onboard if need be. I believe they are bonine.

There are prescription medications available, like "the patch" of scopolamine, but they also have some side effects. Do you tend towards motion sensitivity in airplanes, cars, etc?

Sandy
Old 02-16-2006, 11:31 AM

Don't automatically assume you will get sick. These are hugh ships and they have stabilizers. When I went on the Voyager of the Seas I didn't feel a thing. Everyone is different though. My niece just went with me on her first cruise on Carnival's Fascination. Which compared to the Explorer is a lot smaller. She did fine except for one night she felt a little funny so she took some dramamine and was fine. Do you get motion sickness on a plane, or in a car? Can you go on amusement rides with no problem? If you answer no, then I doubt you will have any problems. If you are sensitive to even these types of motion then I would talk to your doctor about the patch, pill, or wristbands.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:23 PM

HI, I am concerned about this to, we went on the Monarch of the Seas over 10 years ago. My stomach was fine, but I would sometimes feel like the inside of my head was moving! Sounds crazy..lol! It would go away as soon as I laid down or I went up on deck! We hope to cruise this summer! Has anyone had this happen to them? What exactly do the wrist bands to as oppose to the patch? Thanks!
DCL Wonder 2007
RCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008
Princess Diamond 2009
RCL Oasis of the Seas 2010
Old 02-17-2006, 02:19 PM

Nat, I've heard what you described from other people, too. Apparently, the theory is it has something to do with your inner ear. Your inner ear, which is responsible for your balance, can feel the ship move but what you're seeing inside the ship is not coordinated with what your inner ear is detecting. That's why it helped you to go up on deck. If you watch the horizon gently rising and falling with the motion of the ship, your visual cues coordinate with your inner ear cues, and it's supposed to make you feel better. If you shut out all visual cues, as in closing your eyes, that's supposed to help, too, because what you're seeing is not fighting with what you're feeling from your ear. Does that make sense?

The wrist bands have a plastic button that you're supposed to place over a certain point on your wrist. The pressure on this wrist point is supposed to help prevent motion sickness. The patch contains a medicine, scopolomine, which helps prevent motion sickness, but which has some side effects in many people: dry mouth and blurred vision being the most common. You need a prescription from your doctor to get the patch. You do not need a prescription for the wrist bands.

I tried the patch once, and I had the dry mouth and blurred vision, and it made me very sleepy. I have never tried the wrist bands.

Sandy
Old 02-17-2006, 04:18 PM

The wrist bands don't do anything for me, although I have a friend who swears by them. Ginger ale works for very mild motion discomfort for me, but the best is Bonine, which is the same formula as non-drowsy Dramamine. I don't get sleepy with it unless I take it when I don't really need it.

The one cruise I was on when I had the beginnings of motion sickness, my first symptom was a headache. I mentioned it to an experienced cruiser in my group, and he said he had taken his Bonine first thing in the morning - and this was his 70th cruise (or something like that)!! I took some right away, and within a couple hours the headache was gone, I felt fine and no stomach discomfort the rest of the week.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:49 PM

Thanks Sandy, that makes so much sense!!!!
I am going to go to my MD before the cruise to see what he thinks is best. I am on other medications for (headaches, ect) which could be part of my problem too! At least I know I am not the only one!!
DCL Wonder 2007
RCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008
Princess Diamond 2009
RCL Oasis of the Seas 2010
Old 02-20-2006, 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the info, it gives me lots of good info. I am feeling better already!

Closed Thread

Tags
common, cruise, explorer, march, meds, sea, seas, seasickness, sickness