Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 06:34 PM

Hello group. My wife and I took a 7 day cruise on Grand Princess (Princess lines) a year ago and were very pleased with the experience. I am a retired Navy type, and trust me that I was not overly eager at first about a cruise...but must say that I had a great time.

The question I have is just opposite of another discussion area I see. What are good cruise lines for those that are 18-21?? We want to take a holiday cruise this Xmas....to the caribbean.... and there just happens to be a 10 day cruise originating where I live (Norfolk, Va.). It is, though, on Holland America line. Reading through some of the reviews, I am not sure that my college attending daughters will be happy with that....I see where they have entertainment for my 11 year old....and that they have entertainment for most young age groups up to 17....so, would appreciate some thoughts on Holland America and younger guests.

We have also looked at Royal Caribbean (those voyager class ships look pretty nice for activities) and Carnival.....Carnival seems to have lowest prices, with RCCL having most expensive. Holland America prices are very reasonable, and it is a 10 day cruise vice a 7 day on other lines that we were considering. Also, no plane fares or rentals or hotels necessary for the holland america cruise.

so, there is my prediciment....would appreciate some advice!!!

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-23-2005, 06:34 PM

Hello group. My wife and I took a 7 day cruise on Grand Princess (Princess lines) a year ago and were very pleased with the experience. I am a retired Navy type, and trust me that I was not overly eager at first about a cruise...but must say that I had a great time.

The question I have is just opposite of another discussion area I see. What are good cruise lines for those that are 18-21?? We want to take a holiday cruise this Xmas....to the caribbean.... and there just happens to be a 10 day cruise originating where I live (Norfolk, Va.). It is, though, on Holland America line. Reading through some of the reviews, I am not sure that my college attending daughters will be happy with that....I see where they have entertainment for my 11 year old....and that they have entertainment for most young age groups up to 17....so, would appreciate some thoughts on Holland America and younger guests.

We have also looked at Royal Caribbean (those voyager class ships look pretty nice for activities) and Carnival.....Carnival seems to have lowest prices, with RCCL having most expensive. Holland America prices are very reasonable, and it is a 10 day cruise vice a 7 day on other lines that we were considering. Also, no plane fares or rentals or hotels necessary for the holland america cruise.

so, there is my prediciment....would appreciate some advice!!!

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-24-2005, 06:03 AM
Banned

Take the Carnival cruise. It is a younger crowd. The reason for being a younger crowd is because they have more for them to do. I have not been on RC. You have been on Princess so you know what to expect. Holland would be a mistake. It tends to be a little more formal than Princess and a lot older crowd if you can imagine that is possible.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:06 PM

Thanks Rigid for the post and Karen for the email. The Princess cruise did contain many folks a little more senior than my wife and I (we are 45 and 40, respectively)...and while we certainly enjoyed good company of any age, I would imagine that my children would rather be around more folks nearer to their age than ours. Those Voyager class ships on Royal Caribbean lines look like they have a ton of stuff to do.....heck, rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, roller rink....plus shows and such.

Any thoughts on differences between Carnival and RCCL???
Old 02-24-2005, 02:20 PM

In my opinion, the Voyager class ships would be your best choice. There is something for evey age group that you are taking and your family will bond in a very special way. I see it every time I sail on one. It will cost more, but it is absolutely worth the difference.

Let us know what you end up deciding.

Tom
Old 02-25-2005, 05:01 AM

I must admit, there has never been a cruise she didn't like, but my daughter, who is now 22, prefers RC to Carnival. She likes the greater variety of activities that are geared to her age and interests, thinks the discos are better, and the fact that she could legally drink a beer or wine on RC when she was 18 - I must admit had a particular draw to her as a college student. According to her, she also felt that it was easier to meet other college age students on RC. Carnival would be my second choice for that age group.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-26-2005, 08:05 AM

Hey Jim and Carmen, we're in Va Beach. Hi neighbor! I would not suggest Holland America for children or younger adults. The 10 day cruise will have a lot of older folks and very little for the younger folks, including you, to do. It is priced nice but I would suggest Royal Caribbean then Carnival.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:24 PM
I will give you my 2 cents and hope it helps. We just returned from the Carnival Conquest last Sunday. I chose this cruiseline since it is supposed to be the "Fun Ship" and cater to the younger crowd. My husband and I are in our 50s (youngish) we traveled with our children 2 F 25. 1 M 24 1 M 27 1 F 32 1 F 34 and spouse.
5 grandchildren 5-15. I will address only the ones 27 and younger.
MY 27 yo concluded that most people on the ship were "old". There were no single girls anywhere and the lounges and bars were mostly empty and 4 days would have been enough for him. I think 2 things influenced his decision. Gambled too much and lost and missed his girlfriend which he denied. Shouldn't be looking for single girls anyway. The 25 yo girls had a blast. Laid out at the pool, pigged out on pizza and partied all night. Girls will dance with each other. Don't need guys to have fun. I have concluded though that Bigger does not mean better. Though this was a larger ship I found there were not enough activities as on RCCL and the entertainment was so so at best compared to RCCL but I must say the 24 hour pizza and ice cream were the best. Grandkids more than ate their fare here. In conclusion I would say go with Holland America for the reasons you stated. They will find their own fun. Being a Christmas Cruise there will be a lot more children and families on this ship. I am sure they will have no problem entertaining themselves.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:16 PM

SanDee,
Although your reasoning is quite sound, I think I have to disagree with you on this one. First of all, a 10 cruise automatically ups the age bracket (no matter what time of year). Holland America traditionally caters to a bit older crowd to begin with (although I know they are trying hard to break that stereotype with their newer ships - it is still a struggle). Finally, HAL ships just do not have the same kind of venues that would appeal to youth in the 18-21 yr. old range. It is difficult to make your own fun when places to have the fun are not readily available. I stand by my orginal recommendation of RCI (particularly one of the Voyager class ships).
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

I guess everyone has an opinion and that is why there is a forum. Having sailed on HAL and Carnival I would definitely take the Carnival line over the Holland. I have never been on a RCL but I think that would be a good choice also.

As far as kids making there own fun? This just leads to trouble. When I was a kid, and I think that most can relate to this, if there was nothing to do we did create our own fun and it was usually at the expense of others.

Closed Thread

Tags
crowded, cruise, good, kids, lines, overly