Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 04:14 PM

Has anyone had a passenger denied boarding the cruise ship in Seattle because they had a DUI and the ship was stopping in Canada? I have been unable to confirm this and their final payment will be due next week. No one wants to commit to a yes or no answer. Any information would be very helpful.
Colleen
Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

I've not heard of it happening to cruise ship passengers, but have read reports of it happening to people entering Canada by air or land crossing. Cruise ship passengers are usually handled differently since they are more controlled in their movements, as opposed to a person in a car at the border, who once in the country is more likely to go off the radar screen.

Not really much more I can say about it. I'd say if it were a problem the cruise lines would ask the question when the booking was made.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:02 PM

I have heard of a case where someone was denied boarding because of a DUI. I had forgot all about it because I thought it was so bazaar. I wouldn't take any chances, you need to get it straight from the correct source and I would start here
Old 05-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I have heard of a case where someone was denied boarding because of a DUI.
Interesting. And also silly, especially for a cruise passenger. Sure, deny them the right to rent a car or otherwise operate a motor vehicle but it is really ridiculous to ban entry - especially for instances which happened years ago.

Not to bash Canadians, but Canada does seem to enjoy bureaucracy - sometimes more than the U.S. does.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:27 PM

Like I said I thought it was pretty bazaar. I just wouldn't think something like that would be tied into a national record and show up when they swipe your passport. How else would they even know?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I just wouldn't think something like that would be tied into a national record and show up when they swipe your passport.
Exactly. A country can make anything they want a felony. But you'd expect some reason to be involved. I suppose Canada could determine a parking violation to be a felony and deny entry, but what does that do to protect the citizens of Canada?

It is curious to note that, during the U.S. prohibition, Canada was a willing participant in the flow of illegal booze into the U.S. I could make the argument that this wink and a nod policy set up future DUIs in the U.S. After all, alcoholism often runs in families.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
but it is really ridiculous to ban entry - especially for instances which happened years ago.
Not to bash Canadians, but Canada does seem to enjoy bureaucracy - sometimes more than the U.S. does.
Actually Dave from a UK point of view.....this is exactly the problem we have when wishing to enter the USA ( for a cruise ) If we have a minor conviction even over 30 years ago with out a prison sentence and have led a decent & honest life since then....we have to apply for a visa ( with interview ) as we cannot go though the visa waiver scheme.
The Usa is unforgiving on any offence no matter when it took place ....eg arrested for being drunk & shouting at someone in the street when a teenager means you still have to go for an interview to get a visa.In the Uk after a certain period of time you would not have to declare such an incident.

I think I am correct about this but and maybe it can be confirmed.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:15 PM

I would like to thank you all for the information. Colleen

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, boarding, canada, cruise, cruises, denied, dui, entering, forum, line, location, ncl, norwegian, passenger, seattle