Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2005, 10:33 AM

I will be taking a cruise on the elation in April, and I'm looking for a great excusion in Progresso, merida! what is the best thing to do here? And what are the best companies to book trough? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-22-2005, 05:32 PM

Progreso has a great beach and some wonderful shopping for local items and crafts. There is a shuttle to Merida that is quite reasonable and departs every few minutes. Merida offers some sights and more shopping.

There are several reviews of doing the ruins on your own at the Progreso port review site.

Check out the Progresso port reviews at:

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/Progresso.htm

Have a great day in Progreso.

Tom
Old 03-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Progresso was my favorite day for shopping even though it WAS NOT commercialized at all. There is an open market really close to the beach(within walking distance-3 blocks I think maybe closer) and we put our stuff on the beach and walked to it. The stuff there was Really nice but WAY cheaper than in Cozumel. I really enjoy bartering and this is the place to DO IT! The Corona Beach Break there was cheap and had free drinks, chips and dip and a nice beach.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 03-29-2005, 07:56 AM

April,

We are going in January, 2006, on the same cruise. I understand one can reach Merida by taking the free local bus to downtwon Progesso and then a $1.00US bus (payable in pesos) to Merida.

Could you check this out?

Thanks,

Rick

Quote:
Originally posted by April:
I will be taking a cruise on the elation in April, and I'm looking for a great excursion in Progresso, merida! what is the best thing to do here? And what are the best companies to book trough? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-29-2005, 10:04 AM

Yes, they are actually 9-passenger vans rather than a bus. They leave every 5 to 10 minutes.

Tom
Old 04-01-2005, 09:22 AM

We were redirected to Progresso from Costa Maya and, frankly, I would not get off the ship for this port next time. The marketplace is very poor at the port bus stop but I did find a very nice little bracelet for $5. We found the beach to be strewn with debris and the water was murky at the beach - the surf was brown.
We took the bus from Progresso to Merida and as I do not speak spanish, this was quite a challenge. This is a very local bus route (these are ordinary people going back and forth to work and homes and school) - we found ourselves sitting in front of a woman with a chicken (rooster?). The bus driver was none to happy to discover the chicken on his bus (kind of hard to hide the sounds of a chicken even over a bus exhaust) and there was a lot of yelling and gesturing that we found a bit unsettling. Once we got to Merida, we discovered that this is a real mexican town, not a tourist area so we found Merida a bit intimidating. It was quite a challenge for us to find the bus stop to return to Costa Maya. Shopping? Great buys? Must have missed them but then, maybe we weren't looking in the right stores. An organized tour would have been much more useful to tourists who don't speak spanish, whether by RCCL or even a local one offered at the port's bus stop.

CamperMom
Old 05-10-2005, 07:15 AM

April put a note on her cruise to Progresso.

Does anyone have any updates? We are going in January, 2006.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:58 AM

I think CamperMom summed it up pretty well. If you don't peak Spanish and are uncomfortable in a local environment,a ship's or local tour in English might be a better choice.

Tom
Old 05-10-2005, 08:35 AM

We found Progresso to be small, lacking. We did the town tour, on ourr own. Took 15 minutes to ride around 10 blocks. Then to Merida. If you can picture Chicago in tthe 30's, and like it, then you will feel at home. We had no problem communicating. English=No. Translation= Keep asking me, I might change my mind if you follow me all over town till we leave. There are bargains to be had, though. I usually put a price in my head what I will pay. You will find excellent buys on hammocks. I decided $5 was my limit, and they started at $50, got down to $10, but no lower. If you go before me, buy me a dozen. They go for 50-100 here in the states.

David Landry

Closed Thread

Tags
authentic, bus, cruise, excursion, merida, meridaprogrosso, progreeso, progreso, progresso, shopping