Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Hello there,

I just got a great employment offer from Silversea Cruises for May/June 07 . Iīve got some LITTLE (and I think not very important...but important for me) questions about them and I generally would like to chat with people who already worked or still work there. Itīs qite hard to find crew members from Silversea in nearly every forum. Is it that bad that nobody wanna talk about it?? Canīt believe???
Iīm sooo excited...itīs my first cruise ever and I want to be prepared for every case that could happen.

Bye Bye jeanny
Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Hello there,

I just got a great employment offer from Silversea Cruises for May/June 07 . Iīve got some LITTLE (and I think not very important...but important for me) questions about them and I generally would like to chat with people who already worked or still work there. Itīs qite hard to find crew members from Silversea in nearly every forum. Is it that bad that nobody wanna talk about it?? Canīt believe???
Iīm sooo excited...itīs my first cruise ever and I want to be prepared for every case that could happen.

Bye Bye jeanny
Old 03-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Hello jeanny and welcome to cruise-chat;
first, I seriously doubt if Silversea is so bad that nobody wants to talk about it; it's much more likely that there just aren't very many crew members compared to the mainstream lines; and we hardly ever hear from any of them. Remember, Silversea only has four small ships--ultra luxurious ships (I hear)--but small ships.
Secondly, working on a ship involves long hours--the lines try to get the most out of their employees; so the crew members probably don't have a lot of time to surf the net looking for people interested in what their job is like.
Having said all that, and barring any other information that might convince you otherwise, I would urge you to take advantage of this opportunity that others would die for.
I say this because I took a job with Princess many years ago, almost on a whim, and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I had every reason not to go: I was a musician trying to scratch out a living in Los Angeles; I was married with one small child and another on the way; and I had never been on a ship and knew nothing about what was involved.
But I was also, as we like to say, "between engagements" (that's musician code for "out of work"); So I signed up for three months and it turned into a four year gig.
Well, I absolutely fell in love with the sea and with ships. And now, thirty years later, my wife and I cruise as ofter as we can, as passengers now.
So I encourage you to give it a try. It dosen't sound like a long commitment--and it could turn into a lifelong love affair.

Closed Thread

Tags
crew, cruise, cruises, job, life, like, memeber, musician, people, reviews, sea, silver, silversea, type, working