Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2002, 12:32 AM

HI THERE!
having been in recent month on the carnival legend,iwas quite amazed to find xtra servicecharges and gratitudes added to my account.
having booked the cruise incl.these charges i was
disappointed to have been charged twice,once prior
and once on the ship.
apparantly ,i ve been told, i should have pointed out ,that i do not wish to pay any servicecharges
when my account was opened.
12%is ok , i think , but i m sure that a lot of travellers are not awarethat there could be
A DOUBLECHARGE.

ARE THERE WAYS TO OVERCOME THAT?
have you similar experience?
i m off to the south caribbean in jan.
with the radiance .
ciao teddy
Old 12-13-2002, 12:32 AM

HI THERE!
having been in recent month on the carnival legend,iwas quite amazed to find xtra servicecharges and gratitudes added to my account.
having booked the cruise incl.these charges i was
disappointed to have been charged twice,once prior
and once on the ship.
apparantly ,i ve been told, i should have pointed out ,that i do not wish to pay any servicecharges
when my account was opened.
12%is ok , i think , but i m sure that a lot of travellers are not awarethat there could be
A DOUBLECHARGE.

ARE THERE WAYS TO OVERCOME THAT?
have you similar experience?
i m off to the south caribbean in jan.
with the radiance .
ciao teddy
Old 12-13-2002, 07:32 AM
Banned

What exactly were the service charges for? Let us know exactly what the services charges so we can help you. I know that anything bought from the bar has a 15% gratuity added to it. But I have never had any other extra charges.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:55 AM

Most cruise lines automatically tack on a 15% tip to drinks that are purchased. Carnival also tacks on autoamtic tipping to your account for wait staff and room stewards. This can be eliminated by going to the pursers desk and telling them you do not want the automatic tipping. Your travel agent should have informed you of this plus it is mentioned in the Carnival brochures and documents.

As far as your cruise coming up on the Radiance there will still be a 15% tip automatically added to your drinks. I do not believe the Radiance has automatic tipping. You do that on your own at the end of the cruise.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RIDGID:
What exactly were the service charges for? Let us know exactly what the services charges so we can help you. I know that anything bought from the bar has a 15% gratuity added to it. But I have never had any other extra charges.

THANX 4 UR REPLY..
WHEN BOOKING MY LAST CRUISE I WAS INFORMED THAT THE PRICE INCLUDES SERVICECHARGES AS WELL AS TIPS.
AFTER MY ACCOUNT WAS OPENED ON THE SHIP ITSELF
I FOUND AN ADDITIONAL SERVICECHARGE ADDED TO MY ACCOUNT.I WAS TOLD I SHOULD HAVE DECLINED PAYING THESE CHARGES WHEN I OPENED IT AND NOT AFTER.
SO I ENDED UP PAYING TWICE THE CHARGESPLUS MY PERSONAL TIP.
SEEMS TO BE UNFAIR AND I M SURE A LOT OF TRAVELLERS ARE NOT AWARE OF THAT...
IT REALLY IS PRINCIPAL, 1 SERVICECHARGE FINE BUT 2 ARE A BIT MUCH.....
TEDDY
Old 12-15-2002, 02:25 PM
Banned

I would take this up with my travel agent. Tips are not usually included in the base price of the cruise. The tip is usually added on your ship account. This can be adjusted and is not "automatic". You can make it more or less. This is your tip and your money. They automatically include it for your "convience". There may be some other port charges but these would have been on your final payment and not your ship account. I really think you were mislead on tips and services charges being included. I know that Holland American advertises that no tips are required but they sure do press the issue. A TA that I used to deal with told me that it was a real bargain to travel with Holland because the tips were included. WRONG!!

What cruise line were you on?

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carribbean, charged, chargers, charges, cruise, cruises, cruse, fees, hidden, lines, norwegian, norweigan, princess, reviews, royal, thidden