Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 12:37 AM
I don't think we will ever know the answer to that question because only the pursers department would know how much money in auto-tips was taken in and how it was distributed; and any employee who discussed that information would be putting his/her job in jeopardy. I think we have to take it on faith the the money goes where they say it does.

tekdiva, you are absolutely right; the auto-tip is the result of the thoughtless passengers who's tips are mere tokens, or who don't tip at all. I know it happens because I have had several people over the years brag about stiffing the crew, like it was something to be proud of.

You are also right about spreading a little good cheer when you first board; it says to them, "I expect good service but I also show my appreciation".
Old 03-09-2008, 06:32 AM

I solved this question for myself:
Give the person delivering your room service a tip-it's generally quick and a nice extra.
But, my only wish in the room service department is the dirty dishes in the hall would go away quicker. I wish they weren't always sitting there---last cruise there were always dishes in the hall. Gross.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
the auto-tip is the result of the thoughtless passengers who's tips are mere tokens, or who don't tip at all.
I'd say most of us who have been cruising for a while have seen it - the people who run the dining room staff ragged all week and then they magically vanish on the last night of the cruise when the tips are handed out. These are the same people who would keep the extra money if the cashier at a store gave them too much in change.

I always give the room service person at least $2 per order, and if it is a larger order the tip goes up to $5.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:23 AM

That is exactly how I tip for Room Service.

Nothing like a Carnival BLT with cheddar, or a Roast Beef and Brie!

I don't have to walk to get my food. Another human being has to walk those halls to bring it to me. I am happy to tip them for this service.

Dwayne
Old 03-10-2008, 07:51 AM

Are you supposed to leave dirty dishes in the hall? We have just left them in our room and they are always gone very quickly.

Our stewart on Princess last year was almost always standing outside our door. Even if we were only gone for 10 minutes our room was always tidied while we were gone.

Did this have something to do with the fact that on top of auto tipping my husband tipped above the suggested amount before cruise and again at the end, effictively given the staff approximated 4 times what they would normally get?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 AM

jmcs-

Of course the extra tips help! We also introduce ourselves to the Steward the first day. Slip them something then, let them know your likes and dislikes (you want ice all the time, maybe the mini fridge emptied so you can us it to store your stuff, how you want the beds set up if you have kids in your cabin, etc) It still depends on the steward as to the service you will receive but I have found doing this normally gets you get great service going forward. They know which side their bread is buttered on...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-10-2008, 12:59 PM

Les and Wes,
What cruise line are you refering to? On Celebrity, we have never seen dishes sitting in the hallway (from room service). We always leave them in the room on the table they were served on, and they magically disappear.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 AM

I have seen them on Carnival many times. Maybe they just didn't know to leave them in the cabin until the steward comes to service it? They always take them away for me with few exceptions. One time we did have a sandwich left for 2 days. I figured it out though. Between shifts they each thought it was a new sandwhich under the cover. I asked them and they apologized profusely. At least I know they don't touch my food.

Dwayne
Old 03-11-2008, 04:26 AM

I think many people leave dirty dishes in the hallway because that is what is done in hotels. But I would much rather have the steward come get the tray from my room to keep the hall looking more tidy.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Yes, normally we leave the dishes/tray in the cabin and it is gone when we get back. If for some reaosn you have to get it out of the cabin, you can call the room steward to pick it up. But leaving the emtpy tray in the hallway just clutters up the hallway and is most likely a practice from hotels carried over to the cruise ships.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
auto, carnival, conquest, cruise, dining, dishes, gratuity, kickback, leave, monet, opt, princess, room, service, ship, tip, waiters