Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM

I just finished my first cruise. It was 5 days to Mexico. We just disembarked on Friday 9/5. Got home and started feeling dizzy Friday Night. I went to the ER on Saturday because I never experienced this before and was concerned. All my test checked out good and they prescribed Meclizine. But it doesnt really help. Also saw my doctor on Monday and he thinks its a ear virus/infection. He told me to keep talking meclizine and prescribed me Valium to take at night before bedtime. And told me to take 500mg of Tylenol every 8 hours. I have read this happends to some people after there cruise but not sure if I should be concerned since its been 5 days.

I just had a question for experienced cruisers. It is now Wednesday five days after we disembarked, and I am still feeling dizzy. Is this a normal occurrence after you cruise?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

It is difficult to answer your question since dizziness is so subjective. We'll have to use the definition of dizzy as being the sensation of spinning around and losing your balance.

I don't feel dizzy anytime I'm on a cruise or afterwards. I guess it is more common for people to have occasional feelings of swaying after a cruise but not for more than a couple days.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM

I had the same thing happen to me. It lasted a good 4 weeks after the cruise. I wasn't sure if it was from the cruise since I never had it happen to me previously. I called my friend who had been with me on the cruise & she was having the same problem. Never went to the doctor & eventually it subsided.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It lasted a good 4 weeks after the cruise.
Wow. That seems very unusual to me, a whole month!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Welcome to cruise-chat.

It is difficult to answer your question since dizziness is so subjective. We'll have to use the definition of dizzy as being the sensation of spinning around and losing your balance.

I don't feel dizzy anytime I'm on a cruise or afterwards. I guess it is more common for people to have occasional feelings of swaying after a cruise but not for more than a couple days.
4 weeks thats along time I hate this feeling of dizziness/unbalanced. I hope this goes away soon.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:46 AM

Yes it was about 4 weeks but it did get a bit better as I went along. The first 2 1/2 weeks I was really dizzy & unbalanced after that it was not as frequent. I debated going to the doctor but I always find a reason not to go.

Many years ago after a cruise I was so unbalanced that I drove over a bolder & cracked my axle.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-10-2008, 12:05 PM

I had this also happen to me after my last cruise in April. Lasted a good 2 weeks. Just when I thought it was subsiding it was back again. Not bad but have never had it happen after my other 4 cruises. It wasn't bad just faint dizziness but it was there.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-10-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kclvt:
I had this also happen to me after my last cruise in April. Lasted a good 2 weeks. Just when I thought it was subsiding it was back again. Not bad but have never had it happen after my other 4 cruises. It wasn't bad just faint dizziness but it was there.
Did you see any doctors or use any medication or did it just go away?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:33 PM

it's a very serious condition and there is only one cure - go on another cruise!

do it soon before the effects become permanent
Old 09-10-2008, 01:31 PM

It just went away on its own!

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cure, days, disembarking, disoriented, dizziness, dizzy, equilibrium, feel, feeling, long, normal, post, vertigo, wobbly