Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2005, 06:59 AM

Okay I am not selling or advertising but I wanted to share......

I only take the single use cameras on my cruises now..... well since we booked it in Feb I have been on the look out for the cheapest since I buy soooo many......

I just saw in the CVS ad for this week the cheapest yet.....$4.99 for the 27 exp, Kodak Max (800 speed)..... then Walgreens has them for $5.99. THIS WEEK ONLY.

I haven't seen the water ones go on sale yet since Feb.

Glory 06/05
Fantasy 04/04
Sensation 09/03
Victory 06/02
Victory 12/01
Fantasy 06/00
Fantasy 04/99
Big Red Boat 06/93
Old 06-02-2005, 03:52 AM

EXACTLY the way to go.. We've always purchased Wal-Mart cams (for each excursion) and they make beautiful pics, under or above water! The ship will have pretty much the same exact cams but for double the price.

JonTampa
(14 Cruises)
Old 07-08-2005, 09:51 AM

I'm pretty blown away about this info. I was thinking of purchasing a new fancy camera for our first cruise (Elation 09/18/05). If you're an experienced cruiser and use the disposables then I'll save that money and spend it on other goodies.
Thanks!!

Martha
Old 07-08-2005, 10:14 AM

Martha,

it all depends upon your expectations. The disposal cameras do most certainly not make pictures of the same quality as "real" (non-disposable) cameras. However, if you would like to just take a couple of (outdoor!) holiday snapshots, the results might still be okay.

If you would e.g. like to take good pictures of the ship's interiors, I would suggest getting a good compact digital camera. Depending on how frequently you plan to use it, a digital camera might pay off fairly soon.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 07-08-2005, 11:52 AM

Unless you're into professional photography, I have seen good results from disposables for underwater shots. Also, they do a passable job of basic shots when the light is good. I have not had any luck with them in large interior spaces, such as taking pictures of parts of the ship, as Raoul mentions. Also, they are a very poor last resort in very scenic places that call for wide angle or telephoto shots, like Alaska.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:04 PM

Saw your message on cheap cameras and just had to answer you about that. MY wife and I just returned from a week on the Norweign Dawn and we stopped at their private Island down in the bahamas and I had my very good Minolta Dimage digital. We were walking around in our bathing suits and I was taking pictures and composing and deleting and adjusting up and down back and forth etc. you would think these shots were going into Nat'l Geographic. Well to make a long story short it was hot out there and all that water so clear and cool and we had this $10 disposable underwater camera and well last one in etc. etc. well I forgot about my Minolta in my suit pocket quess what, its not waterproof good thing I didn't realize it until I got out or I would have prob. drown. WEe finished the trip with my wife $30 Kodak and one underwater camera. Moral: go cheap its not easy to see a grown man cry haha. Glenn
Old 07-08-2005, 03:59 PM

Ouch!!
Old 07-08-2005, 04:37 PM

What a sad story. That sounds like something I would do. I have lost three digital cameras so far. I just purchased what I believe is the all time camera (for me) A guy had one on my last cruise and I fell in love with it. It is a Nikon 8800 8.2 megapixel with a wide angle to a 350 mm zoon on it. Way cool.

Tom
Old 07-08-2005, 05:00 PM

Tom,

that sounds like a great camera. I just purchased a Canon 350D (called Digital Rebel XT in the US, I believe) a couple of weeks ago, and it's really superb. I had my first ship visit to try it this week, and the results are stunning.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 07-08-2005, 06:02 PM

Hey Tom promise me one thing with that new camera, don't go near the water or if you do make sure your suit has no pockets ok! enjoy!! Glenn

Closed Thread

Tags
cameras, caribbean, cheapest