Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 AM

I never spend my coins. If something cost $4.01 I take the 99 cents back and put in away. We put his change into a special saving that is for vacation/cruise. It does not sound like much but it really adds up. Our Bank as a Keep the change program that does the same thing with my debit purchases. Anytime I make a debit transaction, the change is put into my savings for me. We also put any rebate checks that we get into this fun. This year we had some nice ones, $150 on a printer, $100.00 on two cell phones. $3.00 here, a $1.00 there. It adds up. Our last cruise was last October, way too long to wait! I was just rolling the next batch of coins to take to the bank. In about a years time we have put $1234.52 back for our next cruise. Small change adds up pretty fast.

Since we usually pay a little every month, our October cruise is already paid for, this money will be a deposit for the next one!!

Want to save some real money try this. Put a penny in the bank on day one. On day two double the amount and put 2 cents in. Day three double it again and put 4 cents in. Keep doubling the amount every day for a month. Send me the check for the last day.. you can keep the rest!!! Go a head a figure it out, it might surprise you!!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 AM

I never spend my coins. If something cost $4.01 I take the 99 cents back and put in away. We put his change into a special saving that is for vacation/cruise. It does not sound like much but it really adds up. Our Bank as a Keep the change program that does the same thing with my debit purchases. Anytime I make a debit transaction, the change is put into my savings for me. We also put any rebate checks that we get into this fun. This year we had some nice ones, $150 on a printer, $100.00 on two cell phones. $3.00 here, a $1.00 there. It adds up. Our last cruise was last October, way too long to wait! I was just rolling the next batch of coins to take to the bank. In about a years time we have put $1234.52 back for our next cruise. Small change adds up pretty fast.

Since we usually pay a little every month, our October cruise is already paid for, this money will be a deposit for the next one!!

Want to save some real money try this. Put a penny in the bank on day one. On day two double the amount and put 2 cents in. Day three double it again and put 4 cents in. Keep doubling the amount every day for a month. Send me the check for the last day.. you can keep the rest!!! Go a head a figure it out, it might surprise you!!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Gary, you remind me of my husband. He also collects the coins he accumulates every day, and puts them into a coin bank he received as a child. Once it's full, he puts them into the paper coin rolls, and sets them aside. By the time the cruise comes around, we have enough cash to cover tips for the three of us as well as a shore excursion or two. I don't think we've come close to your amount, though. Congrats!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:32 AM

If you use coupons at the grocery store, take the value of the coupons you save each time and put that amount in a jar. For all the nay sayers that coupons aren't worth it; you'd be surprised. Back in the 70's my mother bought her fancy zigzag sewing machine that way.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:43 AM

Here is how that penny adds up when doubled everyday.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Gary, I think I can handle that until about day 15.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:54 PM
We have a cruise jar - all change and singles at the end of the week. I also have another "hidey" place that I put $20s if I have any at the end of the week. I'm amazed at how quickly the coins add up - - except nickles.. for some reason, I never have enough nickles to roll.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

This is too funny... I mentioned this thread to my husband, and he has now taken to rolling the coins in his bank. The grand total, so far, is $130. When he's done, that should cover the fuel surcharges.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator

We have one of those machines that sort and roll the coins. Just put them in the hopper. It works very nicely.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:24 PM
I was just going to say; rolling coins can be a very time consuming chore--and not all that interesting.

I start saving small bills about a month before a cruise for tips & things; surprising how quickly it adds up.

Closed Thread

Tags
bank, cruise, fund, how, month, pay, piggy, save