Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Delta Airlines (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/18121-delta-airlines.html)

LUGI 04-05-2007 08:37 AM

Hi, first of all let me say I am really concerned that I may not make it to my cruise due to Delta changing the flighttimes. I was scheduled originally for arrival in Miami the day before the cruise at 6 pm. I thought that was enough time having to spend before my cruise. NOW they have changed their flight to arrival at almost midnight! What if they delay the arrival even more or cancel it totally? I am flying out of Frankfurt/Germany via Atlanta. Talking to delta only results in such valuable comments like: Well, maybe you can fly in a day later?
Anyhow, my question now is: Do I have to check in my luggage both in Frankfurt (there of course yes) and again in Atlanta??? If so, the timeframe between the two flights will be very tight... Another problem delta does not see.
Thanks for any input, Lugi

tncruiseman 04-05-2007 09:45 AM

LUGI, the way I understand the process, you will have to claim your baggage in Atlanta and go through Customs, after which you will re-check for the connecting flight to Miami. I would suggest watching your flights online for a period before you leave and see if there is any pattern for late departures or even cancellations. Even arriving at midnight, you will have 16 hours to spare so, once you get to Atlanta, there are many flight options to Miami and Ft Lauderdale, even if you have to take another carrier worst case.

Meldrew of the Seas 04-12-2007 12:53 PM

Lugi, when you arrive at Atlanta the process is...

1. US Immigration. Passport check, photo and fingerprinting. Up to 1 hour.

2. Collect baggage and go through US Customs. 10-20 minutes unless Customs stop you for a search.

3. Recheck baggage for your onward flight. 10-20 minutes.

4. Security check. Up to 1 hour.

5. Change terminals. This is by an underground tram... very quick. 10 minutes.

6. Walk to gate. 5 - 15 minutes, unless you stop by a shop.

When you land in Miami you don't go through any more formalities... just collect your bags and go. Make sure you know your baggage carousel number as you leave the aircraft, (it will often be announced on the pa... otherwise look for sign as you get off the plane) because flight numbers are not displayed on the carousels

Have a great holiday!

LUGI 04-13-2007 06:22 AM

Thank you for the information, this really helped me. I thought I had to go through all these formalities twice. And I did not know about the carousel numbers.
I hope all goes well with the flights, I am checking the timetables daily.
Lugi

LHP 04-14-2007 01:40 PM

LUGI: Hope all goes smoothly. Thankfully you will only have to go through "the process" once...but as it was pointed out...it is a time consuming process...so make sure you have plenty of time in Atlanta between flights.

BTW, (off topic) we look forward to visitng your "neck of the woods" one day. Oldest son (now a freshman in college) took 4 years of German in high school and has 3 German classes in college under his belt. He loves the lanuage....and all I can say is "field trip"!!!

LUGI 04-15-2007 08:21 AM

Hi, LHP.
Thanks for your response.
Well, as much as your son loves my language I love yours. It is a big hobby of mine, all that has to do with the U.S.. I am a teacher and I enjoy teaching little children the basics.
I cannot wait to go on board the Fots, but first comes the flight and "the process". I wish I was already aboard...

Lugi