Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Flying in day of cruise at 11:40am cruise leaves at 4:00 is that enough time? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/18202-flying-day-cruise-11-40am-cruise-leaves-4-00-enough-time.html)

Josh & Amy 04-06-2007 08:54 AM

I am flying from NC to Atl to Tampa for my cruise will arriving at 11:40 be enough time or should I move it to the day before?

Andrealovescruising 04-06-2007 08:59 AM

Josh & Amy, We have ALWAYS flown in the day before. You just never know. Especially the way the airlines have had delays lately. I would not take any chances. You miss the ship, you're losing your vacation. Don't take any chances. If you have the opportunity to change your flight, I would do it. http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

tncruiseman 04-06-2007 09:12 AM

Which airline are you traveling? Delta has been pretty bad lately from what I have heard.

Jim C. 04-06-2007 09:36 AM

To answer your question, yes.. if you get in at 11:40 that is plenty of time. BUT, with a 1 stop flight, you increase your odds of a delay. I would think they you have about 2 hours of delay margin in your plans. (meaning if your flights get you to tampa airport by 1:40 you can still make the ship. much past that and you risk traffic problems keeping you from getting to the ship on time.

Did you buy your airfare and transfer from the airport to the port via the cruiseline or by yourself. If you got cruiseline transport, they will sometimes hold the ship from departing for a little while which helps.

But as Anrea said... it is safer to fly in the night before if you can.

penny3333 04-06-2007 09:58 AM

It's never a good idea to fly in the day of the cruise, but if it is necessary to do so, you should have time to make it. It's cutting it close, but if you've booked your airfare through the cruise line, they will have the ship wait if possible or arrange for you to meet it somewhere. If you booked on your own, make sure you have insurance. Best wishes and sure hope you have no travel hitches!

LisaP 04-06-2007 10:20 AM

If you are able to move your flights to the day before, I'd advise you to do so. Other than JFK, Atlanta is my least favorite airport in which to make a connection. Generally, 11:40 is plenty of time, but I'd be apprehensive depending upon the amount of time between flights (longer is better).

Josh & Amy 04-06-2007 10:52 AM

There is only an hour between my flight coming in from NC and leaving from atlanta. I have not bought insurance I thought it may be too late and most people have told me it ends up being a waste. Also I asked delta about changing my flight and its another 200 per person. I am flying with Delta. OH now I am so worried!

LisaP 04-06-2007 11:17 AM

In that case, I suggest you bring a copy of the attached map of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International airport with you. Zoom into each concourse until you can see the gate numbers and print out each concourse separately. That way, you can easily plan out the route from one gate to the next.

Also go to the Delta site and print out or write down any flight numbers later in the day in the rare event you miss your connection. It makes rebooking easier. Tell them you are on a cruise... it usually helps. The good news (yes, there is some), is that you are getting there early enough to account for any delays.

Also, please buy insurance, particularly a policy that will cover you for travel delay expenses and, more importantly, trip interruption (in the event of injury, med flight, transportation home, etc.).

IBCRUZIN' 04-09-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Josh & Amy:
There is only an hour between my flight coming in from NC and leaving from atlanta. I have not bought insurance I thought it may be too late and most people have told me it ends up being a waste. Also I asked delta about changing my flight and its another 200 per person. I am flying with Delta. OH now I am so worried!
Relax. I think you will be fine. It is not too late to purchase travel insurance. You can purchase insurance right up to 24 hours before schedule departure. The only thing that would not be covered would be pre-existing medical conditions and the financial failure of the tour sponsor (or in this case the cruiseline). As for trip interruption/cancellation, that would be covered. Just be careful and read the policy thoroughly b/c all travel insurance policies are not created equal.

Good luck!!!

fruby 04-11-2007 08:32 PM

Hello,

Did you use a TA or did you book your own air? If you used a TA have him or her go to bat for you. If you did your own air it seems to me that you are giving up too easily. Get a senior Delta manager on the phone and let them try and help you get an earlier flight or a flight a day before. The managers are paid to deal with problems, and many like the challenge of trying to help their customers to the best of their ability to do so.

Hope that this helps.

Fred